Login

Thousands protest in Tokyo against U.S. military

javie

14 year(s) ago

[quote]Thousands of protesters from across Japan marched today in Tokyo to protest against U.S. military presence on Okinawa, while a Cabinet minister said she would fight to get rid of a marine base Washington considers crucial. Some 47,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Japan, with more than half on the southern island of Okinawa. Residents have complained for years about noise, pollution and crime around the bases. Japan and the U.S. signed a pact in 2006 that called for the realignment of American troops in the country and for a Marine base on the island to be moved to a less populated area. [/quote] Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1247281/Thousands-protest-Tokyo-U-S-military-presence-Japan.html#ixzz0e92blJ67

sirmovesalot17

14 year(s) ago

Oh boy finally a thread i feel like responding to :) Ok now onto my response Well for starters I'm a U.S. Marine and I'm stationed here in Okinawa with 3rd Marine Logistics Group 9th Engineer Support Battalion which deploys to Afghanistan within the next month (sadly I arrived too late to go with them but will be leaving in January) I agree there has been many crime related incidents because in the past weeks there have been incidents within my battalion that have resulted in an NJP pretty much once or twice a week. Which in my opinion is entirely one or two too many. But the fact is leaving entirely would be completely and utterly a hindrance to Marines, sailors, and airmen deployed to hostile zone such as Afghanistan. We are one of the few stations between them and the states. We provide them with support on pretty much everything they need. Once you remove us than supplies will get to the troops much slower and will cost entirely too much. Yes it costs ALOT of money for us to be here but if we leave it will cost the Gov't even more money sending us all somewhere else and leaving that gap open.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)