Login

Thread Locking

WeirdDNA

18 year(s) ago

Is it a rule in the debate thread that if the administrator loses the debate, he gets to lock the thread? That seems incredibly childish.

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

Ok, I think I have Scripture for this Harry Potter thing now. I decided to try and find the Scripture, since I was the one who started the whole Harry Potter discussion in the first place. Deuteronomy 18:9-13 "You will enter the land the Lord your God is giving you. When you do, don't copy the practices of the nations that are there. The Lord hates these practices. Here are things you must not do. Don't sacrifice your children in the fire or to other gods. Don't practice any kind of evil magic at all. Don't use magic to try to explain the meaning of warnings in the sky or of any other signs. Don't take part in worshipping evil powers. Don't put a spell on anyone. Don't get messages from those who have died. Don't talk to the spirits of the dead. Don't get advice from the dead. The Lord your God hates it when anyone does those things. The nations that are in the land he's giving you practice the things he hates. So he will drive out those nations to make room for you. You must be without blame in the sight of the LORD your God." This passage is from the Zondervan NIV Study Bible and it comments on the previous excerpt: "What follows is the most complete list of magical or spiritistic arts in the OT. All were practiced in Canaan, and all are condemned and prohibited. The people are not to resort to such sources for their information, guidance, or revelation. Rather, they are to listen to the Lord's true prophets." If you will study the passage from Deuteronomy and the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, you will clearly see that reading about stuff like Harry Potter and watching the movies and stuff aren't condemned, only PRACTICING the witchcraft is condemned. So, based off of that passage and off of the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, it is my belief that as long as Harry Potter is not causing you to believe or to practice witchcraft (the Bible condemns those things), then it is ok to read/watch the Harry Potter books/movies (the Bible does not condemn that). I am hoping that is good enough to get the Harry Potter thread unlocked, and if it's not, then I can get more Scripture to back my point up. I hope my point (and Scripture/comment from the Zondervan Study Bible) helps! Let me know if I need to use more Scripture....

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

If anyone was wondering, I use an NIRV Bible (New International Readers Version). The NIRV Bible is kinda like a student's version of the NIV Bible (it's easier to understand than the NIV Bible).

Joshua

17 year(s) ago

[b]horsechic1990 wrote:[/b] [quote]Ok, I think I have Scripture for this Harry Potter thing now. I decided to try and find the Scripture, since I was the one who started the whole Harry Potter discussion in the first place. Deuteronomy 18:9-13 "You will enter the land the Lord your God is giving you. When you do, don't copy the practices of the nations that are there. The Lord hates these practices. Here are things you must not do. Don't sacrifice your children in the fire or to other gods. Don't practice any kind of evil magic at all. Don't use magic to try to explain the meaning of warnings in the sky or of any other signs. Don't take part in worshipping evil powers. Don't put a spell on anyone. Don't get messages from those who have died. Don't talk to the spirits of the dead. Don't get advice from the dead. The Lord your God hates it when anyone does those things. The nations that are in the land he's giving you practice the things he hates. So he will drive out those nations to make room for you. You must be without blame in the sight of the LORD your God." This passage is from the Zondervan NIV Study Bible and it comments on the previous excerpt: "What follows is the most complete list of magical or spiritistic arts in the OT. All were practiced in Canaan, and all are condemned and prohibited. The people are not to resort to such sources for their information, guidance, or revelation. Rather, they are to listen to the Lord's true prophets." If you will study the passage from Deuteronomy and the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, you will clearly see that reading about stuff like Harry Potter and watching the movies and stuff aren't condemned, only PRACTICING the witchcraft is condemned. So, based off of that passage and off of the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, it is my belief that as long as Harry Potter is not causing you to believe or to practice witchcraft (the Bible condemns those things), then it is ok to read/watch the Harry Potter books/movies (the Bible does not condemn that). I am hoping that is good enough to get the Harry Potter thread unlocked, and if it's not, then I can get more Scripture to back my point up. I hope my point (and Scripture/comment from the Zondervan Study Bible) helps! Let me know if I need to use more Scripture....[/quote] While, I apprecaite your effort, I am not going to unlock it... Your scripture really proves nothing... I think we all agree that we need to seek God for answers, and just because the scripture DOESN'T say you shouldn't read it doesn't mean you can.... THe bible says no where that mens shouldn't masturbate, but you'd be a heritic in most churches if you taught that it was okay... :whistle:

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

[b]admin wrote:[/b] [quote][b]horsechic1990 wrote:[/b] [quote]Ok, I think I have Scripture for this Harry Potter thing now. I decided to try and find the Scripture, since I was the one who started the whole Harry Potter discussion in the first place. Deuteronomy 18:9-13 "You will enter the land the Lord your God is giving you. When you do, don't copy the practices of the nations that are there. The Lord hates these practices. Here are things you must not do. Don't sacrifice your children in the fire or to other gods. Don't practice any kind of evil magic at all. Don't use magic to try to explain the meaning of warnings in the sky or of any other signs. Don't take part in worshipping evil powers. Don't put a spell on anyone. Don't get messages from those who have died. Don't talk to the spirits of the dead. Don't get advice from the dead. The Lord your God hates it when anyone does those things. The nations that are in the land he's giving you practice the things he hates. So he will drive out those nations to make room for you. You must be without blame in the sight of the LORD your God." This passage is from the Zondervan NIV Study Bible and it comments on the previous excerpt: "What follows is the most complete list of magical or spiritistic arts in the OT. All were practiced in Canaan, and all are condemned and prohibited. The people are not to resort to such sources for their information, guidance, or revelation. Rather, they are to listen to the Lord's true prophets." If you will study the passage from Deuteronomy and the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, you will clearly see that reading about stuff like Harry Potter and watching the movies and stuff aren't condemned, only PRACTICING the witchcraft is condemned. So, based off of that passage and off of the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, it is my belief that as long as Harry Potter is not causing you to believe or to practice witchcraft (the Bible condemns those things), then it is ok to read/watch the Harry Potter books/movies (the Bible does not condemn that). I am hoping that is good enough to get the Harry Potter thread unlocked, and if it's not, then I can get more Scripture to back my point up. I hope my point (and Scripture/comment from the Zondervan Study Bible) helps! Let me know if I need to use more Scripture....[/quote] While, I apprecaite your effort, I am not going to unlock it... Your scripture really proves nothing... I think we all agree that we need to seek God for answers, and just because the scripture DOESN'T say you shouldn't read it doesn't mean you can.... THe bible says no where that mens shouldn't masturbate, but you'd be a heritic in most churches if you taught that it was okay... :whistle:[/quote] Well, where in the Bible does it say we can go to concerts or listen to non-Christian music? I am fully aware that the Bible does not say weither we can or can't do things like watch/read Harry Potter, but there is nothing to say we can't. So far noone has said anything why it's wrong to read/watch it. If it's not condemned in the Bible, then why would it be wrong? I mean, masturbation is somewhat condemned in the Bible, so it could be counted as a sin and it is wrong to do it. If God counted it as wrong and counted it (watching/reading Harry Potter) as a sin, then wouldn't He have condemned it as well? So far, no one has managed to prove with Scripture or anything that watching/reading Harry Potter is sinful, but there is no Scripture condemns it, so why would it be wrong?

Sanctified4Him

17 year(s) ago

[b]horsechic1990 wrote:[/b] [quote][b]admin wrote:[/b] [quote][b]horsechic1990 wrote:[/b] [quote]Ok, I think I have Scripture for this Harry Potter thing now. I decided to try and find the Scripture, since I was the one who started the whole Harry Potter discussion in the first place. Deuteronomy 18:9-13 "You will enter the land the Lord your God is giving you. When you do, don't copy the practices of the nations that are there. The Lord hates these practices. Here are things you must not do. Don't sacrifice your children in the fire or to other gods. Don't practice any kind of evil magic at all. Don't use magic to try to explain the meaning of warnings in the sky or of any other signs. Don't take part in worshipping evil powers. Don't put a spell on anyone. Don't get messages from those who have died. Don't talk to the spirits of the dead. Don't get advice from the dead. The Lord your God hates it when anyone does those things. The nations that are in the land he's giving you practice the things he hates. So he will drive out those nations to make room for you. You must be without blame in the sight of the LORD your God." This passage is from the Zondervan NIV Study Bible and it comments on the previous excerpt: "What follows is the most complete list of magical or spiritistic arts in the OT. All were practiced in Canaan, and all are condemned and prohibited. The people are not to resort to such sources for their information, guidance, or revelation. Rather, they are to listen to the Lord's true prophets." If you will study the passage from Deuteronomy and the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, you will clearly see that reading about stuff like Harry Potter and watching the movies and stuff aren't condemned, only PRACTICING the witchcraft is condemned. So, based off of that passage and off of the comment from the Zondervan Study Bible, it is my belief that as long as Harry Potter is not causing you to believe or to practice witchcraft (the Bible condemns those things), then it is ok to read/watch the Harry Potter books/movies (the Bible does not condemn that). I am hoping that is good enough to get the Harry Potter thread unlocked, and if it's not, then I can get more Scripture to back my point up. I hope my point (and Scripture/comment from the Zondervan Study Bible) helps! Let me know if I need to use more Scripture....[/quote] While, I apprecaite your effort, I am not going to unlock it... Your scripture really proves nothing... I think we all agree that we need to seek God for answers, and just because the scripture DOESN'T say you shouldn't read it doesn't mean you can.... THe bible says no where that mens shouldn't masturbate, but you'd be a heritic in most churches if you taught that it was okay... :whistle:[/quote] Well, where in the Bible does it say we can go to concerts or listen to non-Christian music? I am fully aware that the Bible does not say weither we can or can't do things like watch/read Harry Potter, but there is nothing to say we can't. So far noone has said anything why it's wrong to read/watch it. If it's not condemned in the Bible, then why would it be wrong? I mean, masturbation is somewhat condemned in the Bible, so it could be counted as a sin and it is wrong to do it. If God counted it as wrong and counted it (watching/reading Harry Potter) as a sin, then wouldn't He have condemned it as well? So far, no one has managed to prove with Scripture or anything that watching/reading Harry Potter is sinful, but there is no Scripture condemns it, so why would it be wrong?[/quote] Theres probably no Scripture because Harry Potter didn't exist 2000+ years ago :p.

Joshua

17 year(s) ago

haha thanks for getting to that point before I did :woohoo: Still dumb-founded as to why someone who use that argument anyways lol :blink:

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

[b]admin wrote:[/b] [quote]haha thanks for getting to that point before I did :woohoo: Still dumb-founded as to why someone who use that argument anyways lol :blink:[/quote] Sorry, I just don't understand why it's wrong if Scripture doesn't ban it.

Joshua

17 year(s) ago

It depends on what you think scripture should say in order to consider it banned... There are alot of things that scripture doesn't ban... but can't do it.. Scripture doesn't say "Don't eat other people" but we still don't do it.. and we know its wrong... So with your logic, are you saying I could eat you because scripture never banned it? What about if I keyed your car? SCripture doesn't say that Joshua Holmes can't key your car... SO I think ill do it... See, your logic doesn't add up... Just because scripture doesn't bann us from something doesn't mean that it's right

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

Ok, I understand now! So, basically if we feel that watching/reading Harry Potter is wrong, then we shouldn't do it, huh? Thanks!

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)