Login

Verizon\'s Phone Protection Program: worthless

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

So I decided to look into the actual fine print of the plan that claims to protect against "loss, theft, damage (even water damage), and mechanical or electrical defects after the manufacturer’s warranty expires." I made the poor decision of paying $6.99 for two months of coverage for a plan that states this in the terms: [quote]IV. WHAT THIS WARRANTY OR SERVICE CONTRACT DOES NOT COVER: A. Defects or damage resulting from use of the Product in other than its normal and customary manner; B. Defects or damage from misuse, accident or neglect; C. Defects or damage from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, adjustment or any alteration or modification of any kind; D. Breakage or damage to antennas unless caused directly by defects in material or workmanship; E. Products disassembled or repaired in such a manner as to adversely affect performance or prevent adequate inspection and testing to verify any warranty claim; F. Products with labels removed or illegible serial numbers; G. Defects or damage due to spills of or immersion in food or liquid; H. Scratches on all plastic surfaces and externally exposed parts resulting from normal use; and/or I. Damage resulting from normal wear and tear. [/quote] I've been had. It also has a $99 deductible for smart phones.

Bittersweet

12 year(s) ago

Soiunds like a lot of people have been had. O.o

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

Whoa. Sprint's definitely covers a bit more than that. You should consider calling Verizon to clarify that.

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

yeah i plan on doing that this weekend... and have them fix a ton of things in the contract

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

On this note...there's a separate contract for the actual insurance from Asurion, the third party insurer. It's hidden in some digital pdf brochure for the service. And it does cover water damage and that stuff. What I found before was Verizon's Extended Warranty (included in the package). But check this out: if the govt takes my phone, I get into a war, or suffer from nuclear radiation, I'm not covered. lol. [quote] B. EXCLUSIONS 1. This insurance does not apply to loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by any of the following: a. Governmental Authority Seizure or destruction of property by order of governmental authority b. Nuclear Hazard Nuclear reaction or radiation, or radioactive contamination, however caused. If physical loss or damage by fire ensues, we will pay only for such ensuing loss or damage. c. War (1) War, including undeclared or civil war; (2) Warlike action by a military force; or (3) Insurrection, rebellion, revolution, usurped power or action taken by governmental authority in hindering or defending against any of these. 2. This insurance does not apply to loss or damage caused by or resulting from any of the following: a. Delay, Loss of Use Delay, loss of use, loss of service, loss of market, or any other consequential loss or damage, including, but not limited to, loss of time, loss of profits, inconvenience or delay in repairing or replacing lost or damaged Covered Property. b. Dishonest, Intentional, or Criminal Acts Dishonest, intentional or criminal acts by an Insured or by any person entrusted with Covered Property, whether acting alone or in collusion with others, with respect to his or her coverage under this insurance. c. Obsolescence Obsolescence or depreciation. d. Wear, Deterioration, Latent Defect (1) Wear and tear, deterioration; or (2) Hidden or latent defect, including equipment design defect, or any quality in the property that causes it to damage or destroy itself. e. Electrical and Mechanical Breakdown Mechanical breakdown and disturbance caused by battery power or any artificially generated electrical current. f. Cosmetic Damage Cosmetic damage, however caused, that does not affect the manufacturer’s intended use. This includes, but is not limited to: (1) Cracking, marring, or scratching. (2) Change in color or other change in the exterior finish. g. Covered Under Warranty Loss or damage that is covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. In the event we have knowledge of a prior malfunction, proof of repair may be required before coverage for future claims is applicable. h. Late Claims Claims reported to Asurion Insurance Services, Inc., more than 60 days after the time of loss or damage. i. Programming, Repair Work Programming, cleaning, adjusting, repairing, modifying, or performing any other work upon Covered Property. j. Virus Computer virus or any other malicious code or similar instruction that: (1) Disrupts the normal operation of the Covered Property; or (2) Results in destruction of or unsuitability of data or programs stored in the Covered Property. k. Voluntary Parting Voluntarily parting with Covered Property by an Insured or by any person entrusted with Covered Property, whether or not induced to do so by any fraudulent scheme, trick, device or false pretense. l. Intentional Loss or Damage Damage to Covered Property which is the result of it having been used in a manner inconsistent for which it was designed or intended by the manufacturer. We also do not cover damage that is intentional or the result of abuse. m. Pollution The discharge, dispersal, seepage, migration, escape or presence of pollutants. Pollutants means any solid, liquid, gaseous, or thermal irritant or contaminant including smoke, vapor, soot, fumes, acid, alkalis, chemicals, artificially produced electric fields, magnetic field, electromagnetic field, sound waves, microwaves, all artificially produced ionizing or non-ionizing radiation and/or waste. Waste includes materials to be recycled, refurbished or reclaimed.[/quote] Looks like I can still root it and be covered under this part. But the Extended Warranty is voided by rooting.

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

[b]serfofChrist92 wrote:[/b] [quote]Looks like I can still root it and be covered under this part. But the Extended Warranty is voided by rooting.[/quote] Yeah, every warranty is voided by rooting, and every device protection plan isn't effected. However, the rooting can be reversed assuming you backed up all of your data and cloned the ROM your phone came with...which you really should do anyways before rooting, just in case.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)