Login

Was God too harsh?

cookiedough28

15 year(s) ago

Ok, so in my literature class we read the creation story from Genesis. After reading it, my friend challenged me to a debate. I'm not one to back down from a debate so I accepted. He claimed that God was too harsh when he banished Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden. Basically his claims were that Adam and Eve had no knowledge of good or evil therefore they could not know that it was wrong or sinful to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good or Evil. My claim is that God SPECIFICALLY told Adam and Eve NOT to eat of the Tree and told them that if they did they would die, therefore they should have known not to eat from it. My friend continued to say that: still, Adam and Eve couldn't have known it was wrong and that the knowledge that, yes, they had done something wrong (and therefore the guilt) should have been punishment enough. I said that God, in His perfection, cannot tolerate sin at all and therefore HAD to banish them from the Garden. This debate continued in a circle and eventually became so loud that the entire class stopped working and began to watch us. So who's right here? Please explain your reasoning -- and yes I know this sounds like an essay question lol.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)