Login

Why take the \"o\" out of God? !

MaddMatt

15 year(s) ago

If you could use one word to describe God, what would it be? Many people use the word “Awesome” to describe God. However, as much as I agree that God is Awesome, I do not believe that the general population today and even most Christians know what it means… or maybe it isn’t that they don’t know what it means… maybe they just don’t respect God enough to use a word that defines Him differently than their favorite ice cream. People will say that God is “awesome” and then they will say that strawberry cheesecake is “awesome.” Should we really use the same word to describe God as we do our favorite dessert? Shouldn’t we reserve, and revere at least one word in our vocabulary which can only be attributed to the Most High God? Jews have it figured out. Even on this site you see many Messianics type G-d, out of respect. I see people give them a hard time for it, and some people question why they do it… etc.. I say we should all have that same kind of respect for His name. Yeshua carries a lot of weight. There can be no mistake when the name Yeshua is spoken as to Who you are referring. However, if you walked by a group of girls and they said, “He is awesome” and that is all you heard them say, your first initial reaction would probably not be one of, “Wow! They must be talking of God.” Please relax and don’t throw a bunch of stuff back at me about the word “awesome” and it’s roots, and what it means, and what Webster says about it…. Blah.. blah.. blah… I am merely using that as an example. When Rich Mullins wrote, “Awesome God” it had a lot of weight… I am merely saying that unfortunately, I think to many people, it is just a word in a song which has been way overused. So my question is, is there a word in your vocabulary which you reserve for Him, and use it only in reference to Him? Maybe a few more of us should take the "o" out, in fear of using His name in vain. B) -Matt

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)