Login

7th dat Sabbath, 1st day church?

MattBob-SquarePants

16 year(s) ago

I didn't want to derail the other thread, but I have never understood this. I've heard it plenty of times. "I do believe the 7th day (saturday) is the sabbath... But I go to church on sunday." What does that mean? For anyone who believes/does the above, what does Sabbath mean to you? What does church mean to you? Do you avoid the forbidden activities on saturday, and simply go to worship on sunday? Do you avoid them both days? I'm not clear at all on how you can have it both ways. It seems like if I was in that situation, I would feel compelled to confront my Pastor with it, and if it turned out my church was not willing to add an actual sabbath service to the lineup, I think I'd be REAL tempted to find a church that DOES worship on the Sabbath. I dunno. I could see if you believe the Sabbath has changed (unbiblical, though that theory be). But regardless of wanting to worship G-d EVERY day, I think the Sabbath should be first and foremost OF those days... shouldn't it?

barry

16 year(s) ago

People assume worship and the Sabbath go hand in hand. The Sabbath is a day that HaShem promises to come into your house, not you going somewhere. There is nothing wrong with worship on sunday, in fact I prefer it even though I would be in the minority amoung messinics. Why? By having a typical service on Shabbat, (which is more like a christian chruch than a synagauge) messianics often ask people to break the Sabbath. How? The most obvious is by giving money. Keeping Sabbath and worship on sunday have nothing to do with each other. Sabbath is more than what christians think it is. And even the ones that say it is moved and honor it on sunday never even keep it then.

Post edited by: barry, at: 2008/03/25 17:50

AustenB

16 year(s) ago

[b]MattBob_SquarePants wrote:[/b] [quote]I didn't want to derail the other thread, but I have never understood this. I've heard it plenty of times. "I do believe the 7th day (saturday) is the sabbath... But I go to church on sunday." What does that mean? For anyone who believes/does the above, what does Sabbath mean to you? What does church mean to you? Do you avoid the forbidden activities on saturday, and simply go to worship on sunday? Do you avoid them both days? I'm not clear at all on how you can have it both ways. It seems like if I was in that situation, I would feel compelled to confront my Pastor with it, and if it turned out my church was not willing to add an actual sabbath service to the lineup, I think I'd be REAL tempted to find a church that DOES worship on the Sabbath. I dunno. I could see if you believe the Sabbath has changed (unbiblical, though that theory be). But regardless of wanting to worship G-d EVERY day, I think the Sabbath should be first and foremost OF those days... shouldn't it?[/quote] Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sabbath came around because of the fact that God rested on the seventh day. If God does't get tired, then why did He rest? Because He wanted to set an example for humanity. As long as we take a day out of the week, rest, and concentrate on God, I don't think it matters wether it is a Saturday or a Sunday.

MattBob-SquarePants

16 year(s) ago

[b]barry wrote:[/b] [quote]People assume worship and the Sabbath go hand in hand. The Sabbath is a day that HaShem promises to come into your house, not you going somewhere. There is nothing wrong with worship on sunday, in fact I prefer it even though I would be in the minority amoung messinics. Why? By having a typical service on Shabbat, (which is more like a christian chruch than a synagauge) messianics often ask people to break the Sabbath. How? The most obvious is by giving money. Keeping Sabbath and worship on sunday have nothing to do with each other. Sabbath is more than what christians think it is. And even the ones that say it is moved and honor it on sunday never even keep it then.<br><br>Post edited by: barry, at: 2008/03/25 17:50[/quote] Soooo... why don't we just do like other synagogues and NOT take a collection on Sabbath service? That's what my synagogue does, and apparently they do alright. I mean, if it's the community it SHOULD be, not just a meeting place on the Sabbath, then you should have plenty of other opportunities to drop off the offering. I prefer not having a plate passed in front of us all. It's one less way for people to even know who is giving more and who is giving less, or perhaps even, who has barely anything to give. Once you make that change, it's really hard to go back. Yeah, everytime I go to a Christian church, I expect it, and if I've heard enough to know whether I can give G-d's money to them, I'll give, because as you say, it ISN'T really the Sabbath, but since they do consider it such, they really shouldn't be doing that. I say there IS a connection. It's more than a day of rest. Even in the Christian context, ignoring His regulations of the Sabbath, and calling it a day of rest, we still owe G-d for every day of rest we have. Why SHOULDN'T we get together, whether in the home or the temple, and collectively give him thanks for that day, ON that day? In ancient times, even the work on the Temple stopped to do this. Are we more loved, or shown more forgiveness than they?

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)