Login

Coders- help needed!

MattBob-SquarePants

15 year(s) ago

Okay, so per an associated thread, I need a better file transfer manager. I want something that will let me tell it in GUI a transfer I want to execute, but will drop it into a queue first, then execute it. This is because I anticipate having a few projects involving dozens of multiple-gig filetrees, the biggest being over a terabyte in total. I don't want to slow the system down, so I want each individual transfer to finish executing before the next is run. I've decided there does not currently exist a program to do this (odd as it seems), so I'm going to try to write one myself. Now, I'm sort of a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to scripting. I'm not really a master at any language, and I'm wanting some advice as to which language would be the easiest to do such a thing with. C++ seems to have a great community, and lots of prewritten objects, I could use, but at the same time it seems a little bit of overkill, except that I do want a GUI for this. Actually, my first endeavor will be to find a commander-style (two-tabs, with status screen at bottom) file manager, and see about working a queue into the existing script. BUT if that's not feasible, I'll need to start from scratch, and I do anticipate a learning curve, hence the request for advice. I want to use a language where I'm not going to have to learn a bunch of stuff useless to the project, but powerful enough to do what I need without bogging the system down (any more than having those HDDs running at full speed will do anyway).

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)