Login

Doesn\'t free will have a middle ground?

MattBob-SquarePants

17 year(s) ago

This is just philosophical. Those who believe in predestination, and those who believe in free will, can both provide scriptures which at least SEEM to support their idea. But why couldn't there be a middle ground? Isn't it possible that G-d retains the power to over-ride our free will, but prefers to allow us our freedom? Isn't it possible that some events in human history are prescripted, some could even be said to simply be inevitably, and yet free will could still exist the rest of the time? As usual, I don't see why it has to be "all or nothing."

serfofChrist92

17 year(s) ago

[b]MattBob_SquarePants wrote:[/b] [quote]Isn't it possible that G-d retains the power to over-ride our free will, but prefers to allow us our freedom?[/quote] That's what I believe. and yeah, I think there can be a middle ground. Free Will and Predestination both seem to have a few things off IMO. So there has to be a middle ground. hmm... what label should we give our middle ground beliefs? ;)

hexisxmyxrefuge

17 year(s) ago

[b]MattBob_SquarePants wrote:[/b] [quote]As usual, I don't see why it has to be "all or nothing."[/quote] Exactly. We always put God into this little box. We worship the box, but it seems like everything thinks that ultimately, we have control over it. How dare we limit God? Who are we to do that? I find it perfectly logical that we have a mix of free will and predestination. I may not believe that our salvation is predetermined, but that doesn't mean I reject every single idea that the theory of predestination consists of.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)