Login

Exaltation of Messiah

barry

16 year(s) ago

[b]Genesis 41:40 - "you will be in charge of my household; all my people will be ruled by what you say. Only when I rule from my throne will I be greater than you."[/b] Jews around the world read the Torah in a year. Each week a portion is covered. It is called a “Parashat.” The reading for this week is called “Parashas Mikeitz.” It starts in [b]Genesis 41:1[/b]. So in the last couple of weeks we have been reading about the life of Joseph. Many christians like to look at the comparisons between Joseph and Yeshua ([i]Jesus[/i]). There are many and the parallel in uncanny. But there is a huge one that is missed. One that clearly shows us the relationship between Yeshua and his Father, HaShem. The opening verse offered here is Pharaoh telling Joseph what position he will have in his kingdom, the empire known as Egypt. As we shall see, it parallel’s that of Yeshua and Hashem. In the Story of the exaltation of Joseph, we may discern many pictures of Messiah. The Master teaches that “[b]The greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.”[/b] In the Kingdom of the Heavens, what goes down must go up. This is well illustrated in the life of Joseph. He was the greatest among his brothers, but was reduced to being a servant. Because Joseph descended to the lowest place, he was exalted to the highest place. Joseph’s descent into Egypt can be likened to the descent of the soul of Messiah. Like Joseph, he took [b]“the form of a bond servant” and “humbled himself.” (Philippians 2:7-8)[/b] Joseph lost his princely place in his father’s household and found himself a slave and a prisoner, the lowest estate possible. The same can be said of the Master. He was born of woman a king, the Son of the Living G-d and was brought to the lowest possible place, that of a common criminal, hung and cursed on a tree. But from that low estate, Pharaoh highly exalted Joseph to a station over all of Egypt. Regarding Yeshua, Scripture says [b]“For this reason also, G-d highly exalted him.” (Philippians 2:9)[/b] If Joseph can be likened unto Yeshua, who is exalted from a low state to a high state, Pharaoh may be likened unto G-d, who in like manner, exalted Yeshua. Pharaoh gives Joseph his signet ring. A signet ring represents the authority of the name it bears. By giving Joseph his signet ring, pharaoh gives Joseph authority of his own name. In a similar manner, G-d exalted Yeshua [b]“and bestowed on him the name which is above every name” (Philippians 2:9) [/b];that is, His own sacred name. Pharaoh clothes Joseph in garments of fine linen and gives him one of his own chariots. In rabbinic literature, the throne of G-d is referred to as the chariot. This conviction is based upon Ezekiel’s vision of the throne of G-d carried along on wheels. Just as Pharaoh gives Joseph his own chariot, so too G-d has given Messiah a seat on His own Throne. In [b]Revelation 7:17 [/b]He is called [b]“the Lamb in the center of the throne.”[/b] As Joseph goes forth, criers run before his chariot, saying, [b]“Bow the knee” (Genesis 41:43)[/b] G-d exalts Yeshua [b]“so that at the name of Yeshua every knee will bow, of those who are in the Heavens and on the earth and under the earth.” (Philippians 2:10)[/b] Pharaoh gives Joseph authority over his own household, saying[b] “You shall be over my house.” (Genesis 41:40)[/b] In a similar manner, Yeshua is over the entire house of G-d. Pharaoh gives Joseph authority over everything in Egypt except himself. He says [b]“According to your command all my people shall do homage; only in the throne I will be greater than you.” (Genesis 41:40)[/b] So too regarding Messiah. G-d has put all things under him except Himself: [b]1 Corinthians 15:27 "For He put everything in subjection under his feet. But when it says that 'everything' has been subjected, obviously the word does not include G-d, who is himself the one subjecting everything to the Messiah."[/b]

MattBob-SquarePants

16 year(s) ago

Cool, cool, cool! I've been slacking on my Parshot. I think we should get those Parsha discussions we used to go going again. From what I can see, I think we'd have more interest than before, especially if we're able to keep it conversational. That is really a great little lesson. Some of those parallels I've noticed, or heard, but yeah the more I do learn the more uncanny it gets. Right down to both of them going to Egypt, Yosef as a slave, and Yeshua as a refugee... Thanks, brother Barry!

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)