Login

Free Will

actresscp

17 year(s) ago

So most of you believe in free will. Give me biblical support for free will. Where in the Bible does it say we have free will?

SmilinBob

17 year(s) ago

I guess the fact that man sins proves we have free will, unless god wants people to burn in hell, or maybe it their isn't a Christian god at all.

actresscp

17 year(s) ago

[b]SmilinBob wrote:[/b] [quote]I guess the fact that man sins proves we have free will, unless god wants people to burn in hell, or maybe it their isn't a Christian god at all.[/quote] That does not prove free will, that proves will. Yes we have choices but they are limited. God gives us the choices we may choose from. It's like if you have a toddler at the ice cream store, she says "Oh look I have free will because I can choose my own Ice Cream flavor or choose not to have Ice cream if I don't want to." Well no...she can only choose between those options. She can't choose a flavor that's no there, and she may not be able to choose to have more than one flavor. You may say "Well the child could always run away". However the parent (being God), is strong enough to stop them and never would let them. That is my analogy. Yes we have will, but it is very limiited, and ultimately the choices we have are limited by God. Thus we do not have FREE will.

MisterNathan

17 year(s) ago

[b]actresscp wrote:[/b] [quote]That does not prove free will, that proves will. Yes we have choices but they are limited. God gives us the choices we may choose from. It's like if you have a toddler at the ice cream store, she says "Oh look I have free will because I can choose my own Ice Cream flavor or choose not to have Ice cream if I don't want to." Well no...she can only choose between those options. She can't choose a flavor that's no there, and she may not be able to choose to have more than one flavor. You may say "Well the child could always run away". However the parent (being God), is strong enough to stop them and never would let them. That is my analogy. Yes we have will, but it is very limiited, and ultimately the choices we have are limited by God. Thus we do not have FREE will.[/quote] Something about your analogy does not make sense to me. You say that we have will, but very limited. Our will is only limited by the possible options. The only other option besides making decisions yourself (defined as "free will") is having your decisions made for you (defined as "no free will"). You seem to be saying that there is a third option, yet your definition of this third option appears nonsensical to me. Please elaborate if there is a misunderstanding.

actresscp

17 year(s) ago

No you see, you define no free will as having all of our desisions made for us. You say either we have COMPLETE control over ourselves and our destiny, or we have NONE whatsoever. Picture a cicle. You have the will to go where in the circle you want to. You cannot however go outside of the circle. You have a will but not a FREE will. It is limited.

micbrick

17 year(s) ago

Genesis 3:22 Then the Lord God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever" This is where our free will comes from... Somebody mentioned earlier that sin s our free will. The knowledge of good and evil is what allows us to sin and ultimately have free will to make decissions.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)