Login

G-d, god, and gods

barry

16 year(s) ago

[b]“Gods you are” (Ps 82:6 & John 10:34)[/b] In Hebrew the word “[i]EL[/i]” translated "[i]god[/i]" derives from the ancient pictographic language. “[i]Aleph[/i]”, the first letter, is the picture of an ox head, this is the representation of strength. “[i]Lamed[/i]” the second letter, is the picture of a shepherds crook, this represents herding sheep and consequently the shepherd himself. HaShem (YHVH) is represented as a powerful shepherd. [b]Psalm 80:2 “Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel” [/b] (HaShem is Elohim - a plurality of Eloha which is a derivative of El) Individuals who take the task of guarding the community (the sheep) from predators (spiritual and otherwise) are themselves powerful shepherds (El). [b]Psalm 78:70 “And he chose David his servant, and took him from the sheepfolds; he brought him to be the shepherd of Jacob his people, and Israel his inheritance.”[/b] When the letter "[i]hey[/i]" which symbolizes breath or spirit is added, the meaning is amplified from shepherd to a "spirit filled" shepherd. I believe "[i]Elohim[/i]" the word translated "[i]G-d[/i]" in most English translations refers to a plurality of Eloha (alef lamed hey). In other words "[i]G-d[/i]" represents a conglomerate of spirit-filled shepherds. The word "[i]Eloha[/i]" is also translated "[i]G-d[/i]", 41 of the 54 instances of Eloha appear in the book of Job. The word "[i]Elohim[/i]" is translated "[i]G-d[/i]" 2346 times, "[i]god[/i]" 244 times "[i]judge[/i]" 5 times, "[i]goddess[/i]" 2 times and "[i]angels[/i]" once. The concept of the shepherd as the door to the sheep pen is extended to judges at the gates of a city ([b]Deutronomy 16:18[/b]). People within the walled city is an analogory to sheep in a fenced enclosure just as judges are an analogory to shepherds. The judges/elders not only judged cases for the people in the city, but I believe they also served as doors. That is when someone approached the gate and it was obvious they were not part of the community, the judge would stop the individual question him and turn him away if the judge thought the individual could be a threat to the community. These Elohim (gods) served to maintain the integrity of the community. It is only when the community stands as one, are we strong. Strong communities are the only ones that survive. This is the reason the Jews have survived until today and will continue to survive dor l’dor, l’olam v’ed (from generation to generation until the distant unknown future). [b]John 10:31 - “Therefore, again, did the Jews take up stones that they may stone him ... `For a good work we do not stone you, but for evil speaking, and because you, being a man, do make yourself god.” [/b] [b]34 Yeshua answered them, `Is it not having been written in your law: I said, you are gods? if them he did call gods unto whom the word of G-d came, (and the Writing is not able to be broken,) of him whom the Father did sanctify, and send to the world, do you say , 'You speak evil', because I said, Son of G-d I am? If I do not the works of my Father, do not believe me; and if I do, even if me you may not believe, the works believe, that you may know and may believe that in me [is] the Father, and I in Him[/b].' I can only imagine Yeshua’s frustration. The scriptures are clear, not only should we be gods, we must be gods. Obviously the words El, Eloha, Elim, and Elohim have been greatly misunderstood, misinterpreted and mistranslated. Not only in Yeshua’s time but also in ours. [b]John 10:34 -"Yeshua answered them, "Is it not written in your law, that 'I say you are gods'?" [/b] As if it weren’t already obvious, we are called to be the responsible and respectable elders that govern the community ([b]Matthew 19:28[/b]). You can compare us to the gods that governed in the time of Moses. [b]Exodus - 21:5 “And if the servant really say: I have loved my lord, my wife, and my sons I do not go out free; then hath his lord brought him nigh unto the gods, and hath brought him nigh unto the door, or unto the side post, and his lord hath bored his ear with an awl, and he hath served him --- to the age.”[/b]

Swinny89

16 year(s) ago

Very interesting... =)

MattBob-SquarePants

16 year(s) ago

It's been awhile since you posted it, so I can only assume I'm NOT the only one blown away. Excellent, excellent stuff, as usual, brother. Man, I really hope you're still giving some thought to leading a congregation. ;)

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)