Login

General chat thread?

Owlright

12 year(s) ago

This may be a stupid idea (it is 5 am and I haven't slept in ages so...yeah. it probably is) but what about a thread - maybe stickied - in the General Discussion forum just for chatting or saying something that's on your mind or how your day was or whatever without having to start a whole new thread every time you want to do so. Because sometimes I just have something trivial to say that doesn't warrant a thread but I wouldn't mind sharing with people. If that makes sense. Like "Oh boy got a job interview today, wish me luck" doesn't really warrant a whole new thread but might be something to share with the community. Or you can just get a conversation going, ask how somebody's doing, whatever, without having to start a thread every time you want to say "So how was your day?" Or uh...complaining about not being able to sleep at 5 am but no convenient place to put that whinging. Uh. Yeah. Hopefully that makes sense. It's a pretty common feature in most forums usually I think? Just a thought.

keyseya

12 year(s) ago

I think that's a good idea though knowing people on here it'll go on epic tangents and not serve the purpose it was created for.

Cowgurl4JC

12 year(s) ago

I'm with Kez, I think that's an awesome idea. I have times like that as well and it would certainly free up a lot of space in the OD too.

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

Isn't that what blogs are for? :P

Owlright

12 year(s) ago

For complaining about lack of sleep, sure. Not so much for the "Hey persons how are you today I would like to wish you all a good midmorning" or other chatty things :P

memnonkarana

12 year(s) ago

I support the idea...

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

See, I dunno. Between walls and blogs, I don't really see the need for a dedicated thread. I mean, if someone posts a thread, I don't really see a big deal about that, as the forums aren't exactly moving at the speed of light, but yeah. Also, there's the issue Kezia mentioned. I mean, I'm open to ideas, as I hope you all know, and if someone comes up with a good enough reason, I'll personally take care of it. I just don't see the point as it stands. If another admin does though, they can feel free to implement it. It's not so much that I'm [i]opposed[/i] to it as I'm not [i]for[/i] it. :P But like I said, if someone wants to create how-do-you-do threads, by all means, feel free! The forums are all cleaned up and slow-moving, so I don't think it'd really clutter things up.

memnonkarana

12 year(s) ago

I think it would speed things up a bit... Seeing as people in this thread have stated that there are things they would like to share but don't want to create threads for... As for walls, that doesn't allow for those on here that don't have FB or whatever to see it... As for blogs? I personally don't like to put short things up there... Say you just want to say "Ugh. I hate not being able to sleep at 5 am." A blog isn't really the right place for that... Heck, I'd start the thread if I could be sure it would get stickied...

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

[b]memnonkarana wrote:[/b] [quote]I think it would speed things up a bit... Seeing as people in this thread have stated that there are things they would like to share but don't want to create threads for... As for walls, that doesn't allow for those on here that don't have FB or whatever to see it... As for blogs? I personally don't like to put short things up there... Say you just want to say "Ugh. I hate not being able to sleep at 5 am." A blog isn't really the right place for that... Heck, I'd start the thread if I could be sure it would get stickied...[/quote] By "walls" I'm refering to the MyPraize walls. Also, I believe statuses will be a feature in MyPraize 2.0. I dunno...I guess I just don't understand the aversion to creating individual threads for something like "I really dislike worth consecutive 13 hour days." ;) To me...it just seems like that kind of stuff is the purpose of "Open Discussion". *shrug*

memnonkarana

12 year(s) ago

Ah... Well, I was thinking of it as general status updates... I'm pretty sure you're right about it being available in 2.0... Pretty sure I saw Joshua say something about that somewhere... I don't have an aversion to creating threads myself (or I wouldn't have offered to create the thread), but when you've got others saying there's more they would share if there was a general chat thread, it just makes sense to me that one should be added... I don't disagree about OD being for discussion about anything. It's just that people on here have mentioned posting more if there was one... I personally see that as a Very Good Thing (TM)...

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)