Login

Is It Christain???

derbygirl

13 year(s) ago

I listen to a LOT of music. Music is my life. However,I only listen to Christain music. But there are tons of bands out there that claim to be christain and sometimes I really can't tell if they are. Heres a list of bands i listen to. If its not christain, can you comment please?:side: Paramore Family Force Five Switchfoot Manafest The Devil Wears Prada (I don't listen to this, but my friends do.) Stacy Orrico Thats all I can think of rigth now. Thanks!!!:)

BrotherReed

13 year(s) ago

What is Christian music? If it's music made by Christians, then we may be able to tell you if the artists or bands you listen to claim Christ. But even if they do, we can only tell you what they claim, or what fruits we see in them. No one knows men's hearts but God. And what about bands who have some Christian members and some non-Christian members (these exist). Is their music "Christian?" What if an unbeliever sings Amazing Grace? Or what if a believer sings some nonsense song? What does that say about the music you're hearing? Suppose Christian music is determined by its lyrical content. Whether it lifts up the Lord or not. If this is the case then you should be able to answer this question by looking at the band's lyrics. If you can't tell from the words, what difference does it make?

MisterNathan

13 year(s) ago

Basically what BrotherReed wrote. All you can do is look at how it's marketed...and that's definitely not 100% accurate. There's secular bands sold in Christian stores and Christian bands sold in secular stores. Many Christians bands choose to go with secular labels to reach a larger market. Then you have bands like Evanescence who at one time marketed themselves as Christians (and even did a feat with 12 Stones) then in an interview basically said "What the f*** we're not a Christian band." You also have artists like Derek Webb who choose to alienate themselves from their Christian label to drive home a point about what really matters..hence the song that really pushed the label (pun!!!11) -- [i]What Matters More[/i].

GageTaylor-buddy

13 year(s) ago

I would offer the argument that Paramore, though a band of Christians, is far from being a Christ-centered band. Though they have positive lyrics here and there, I can't see anything that brings one closer to God through the music other than "Hallelujah" perhaps.. and the way the vocalist says "But GOD does it feel so good..." is controversial because that's saying God's name in vain... all the other bands I would say are fine, though not necessarily Christian bands I believe them to be Christ centered people who show it in their lyrics. Christian simply means Christ-follower, so I would believe a Christian band to be a group of musicians who play music for Christ and Christ alone. And then there are Christians who are in a band but don't play only for Christ, but sing about positive things. I believe there is an equal amount of goodness in both of those kind of Christian musicians.

taylordmusic-buddy

13 year(s) ago

Are they a "CHRISTIAN LAWYER" or a lawyer that's a Christian? My personal experience has witnessed that the person in the first of these occupations by definition will most likely starve to death, but the latter defined occupation has a much better survival rate :) I'm a CCM artist who finds it sad when good music gets tainted by bad message. However I also understand people (CCM ARTIST TOO) need to "LIVE" and I take offense when a non informed brother or sister says well now you just need ta trust the Lord with your ministry while they themselves don't support CCM at all but support everything else and go out and buy the latest greatest Honky Tonk CD's. :) I personally love CCM and "WHOLESOME" well crafted music. I respect the craftsmanship and know the time/labor/money/creative passion that is involved. The tough thing about being a "Christian" artist is that while many people are going and doing their "job" each day, and many times a "crappy" one, they will be paid regardless, even if their heart aint much in it. The CCM artist can put their whole heart life and passion into their work and make little or nothing! I don't blame artists who are Christian for putting their creative skills to work on secular albums. They are people who work for a living and need to provide for themselves and their families. Try putting "CHRISTIAN" behind any business name or trade billboard and let me know how that works out for one. I'd rather see the Christian ethic proactively applied in the background of what somebody does (Lawyer/Plumber/Doctor/Contractor/Artist)

BrotherReed

13 year(s) ago

[b]taylordmusic wrote:[/b] [quote]The tough thing about being a "Christian" artist is that while many people are going and doing their "job" each day, and many times a "crappy" one, they will be paid regardless, even if their heart aint much in it. The CCM artist can put their whole heart life and passion into their work and make little or nothing![/quote] This is true not just of quote unquote CCM artists, but any musician in general. Like half a percent (making this number up but it's pretty small) of people who do music make it enough to become wealthy. Even most reasonably popular bands are just scraping by and probably owe money to their record labels if they have one. I don't know what that has to do with the topic at hand but there you go.

taylordmusic-buddy

13 year(s) ago

LOL! Ya I think on the whole "IS IT CHRISTIAN" thing I've really had to open my eyes and heart over time. I believe we are right on topic because certain "interpretations" always need to be addressed I guess. I used to be very narrowed in my views on CCM. The more I observed many "CHRISTIANS" and their stinginess and/or hypocrisy the faster I learned. MUSIC is a business. Christian Music is a sub categorized business of MUSIC as a business. I've learned to not be so harsh toward Christians who play music, especially trying to make a living... even if it's not "MY INTERPRETATION" OF CHRISTIAN MUSIC.

BrotherReed

13 year(s) ago

And just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm the guitarist for a worship band and right now it's my only source of income. Obviously our music is Christ-focused because we don't get asked to do a lot of concert-type stuff. It's usually leading worship for events or church services. However, as a songwriter I don't force myself to write "Christian" lyrics. I find that if I do I end up with meaningless cliches. I write about whatever's on my mind. My music is an expression of myself, and because I'm a believer my Christian worldview is inevitably going to show through.

taylordmusic-buddy

13 year(s) ago

Amen! I hear ya! I pray your earning a good keep too brother as the laborer is worthy of their hire! :) On the writing issue, (maybe we should get a new topic goin LOL!) Personally I think there is way too much of the same (cliche) things being said/sung and sold out there and many people sell out depth of message for groove and beat. If I hear one more ("GOD YOU ARE"...) taking up 1/3 of a song!!! Like He has an identity crisis? LOL! Good to meet ya BTW!

larry229

13 year(s) ago

[b]taylordmusic wrote:[/b] [quote] If I hear one more ("GOD YOU ARE"...) taking up 1/3 of a song!!! Like He has an identity crisis? LOL! [/quote] I think this depends on what type of music you're going for. No, G-d isn't having an identity crisis, but we are created to worship Him. And yes, that does mean a lot of "G-d you are...".

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)