Login

Javi\'s Top 30 Favorite Movies

javie

13 year(s) ago

Oh, what the heck. I will reveal more this time of the day. 21. [IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/pepsi3015/christmas_vacation.jpg[/IMG] I promise you all. This will be the last Christmas film I will put on this list. If anyone would ask which Vacation movie that I love the most, my answer will always be Christmas Vacation. This movie has more jokes than a stand-up comedy. What I mean by that is that it is hilarious. So don't think that I'm saying that this is the best comedy ever. Oh no. There is one on this list that is 1,000,000x better than this film. You'll see soon enough. This movie's plot is just like anyone's Christmas holiday, which is why I love this one. It takes the average Christmas time from an average family, and it makes fun of it in a way that I have never seen done up till this day. And when I found out that John Hughes wrote this film, it made it even better for me, because I love John Hughes and his movies. When the comment on the box art says that this is "Chevy Chase at his best", you better believe it. I will be honest at my absolute best that this was the first movie that I have ever heard of Chevy Chase. Before this, he was nonexistent to me. But right when I first saw this film, I had no idea what I was missing from him. I felt like I was not hiding under a rock, but under a mountain. The casting was great. You got Chevy Chase, that mom from Everybody loves Raymond, Elaine from Seinfeld, that redneck stereotype from Independence Day, and much, much more! The hilarity in this film are more than just a mouthful. My favorite scenes, if you really want to know them, are the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzyDsY0IsPI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpCVrzVr97M&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiXSsFp29s&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZcZVugtF6w&feature=related

OMalley

13 year(s) ago

Well I'm all for the favorite X character being Gambit and number 2 being Wolverine! X-Men, good choice. Makes my list too. However as for the rest of them, meh. These are some essential movies on my list: 1. Beauty and the Beast. My all time favorite. A fairy tale about working it out, not scooping up the first member of the opposite gender you see and marrying them. 2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (heck yes!) 3. If you like Wolverine and Gambit, you've gotta include Wolverine: Origins. Yes they botched a lot, but the story line is still interesting. It's a great action movie! 4. Tangled. Ok men, you are excused from not liking this movie. But don't knock it too hard. It's the best Disney movie to come out in a very very long time. 5. When In Rome. And I don't mean the Mary Kate and Ashley junk. Another chick-flick, but a comedy as well. 6. Taken. As a parent, I really appreciate this movie. What wouldn't we do to rescue our kids? 7. Kingdom of Heaven. Rather violent, but the music is spectacular. And the star line up, oh yeah! 8. The Patriot. Again, pretty violent, but historical and incredibly passionate. 9. Pirates of the Caribbean. The best is the first by far. Action and unique-to-Johnny-Depp comedy, what more do you want? 10. High School Musical. JK Just seeing if you're paying attention! The Lake House or Kate and Leopold, I can't decide which should be number 10 so I'll list them both. Amazing romances! Anyways, there's my top ten :)

javie

13 year(s) ago

20. [IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/unexsistant/samuraixtrustandbetrayal.jpg[/IMG] Out of all of my favorite fictional history movies, this is one of my all time favorites. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal is about a samurai named Himura Kenshin, who is called Hitokiri Battosai the manslayer. He fights in the revolutionary war in Japan of 1850's and tries to fight for a newer form of government called the Meiji era, where people can live in harmony without the use of Katanas. He then falls in love with a girl named Yukishiro Tomoe, a few days after he kills her fiance, without knowing who he was. So its a clash of fictional history, action, war and a love story in one whole movie. The thing that I truly love about this movie is that it is geared for adults, and no one else. And like I said before, I didn't like the anime of Rurouni Kenshin at all, and Samurai X made it worse for me. But this movie got it all right. The emotions that these people in this movie feels right. The acting was incredible. The storytelling was perfect. It followed exactly to the mangas, just the way how I loved it. everything about this movie makes it feel like you are almost watching an opera, that sprays blood and gore all over your face. It has everything that a man loves to watch, and it has everything that a true fan, such as myself, loved from reading the mangas. If you haven't watched this film and you never read the mangas, don't worry about it. You don't need to. Go check it out. It is a must see movie.

MisterNathan

13 year(s) ago

[b]javie wrote:[/b] [quote]The acting was incredible.[/quote] Voice acting*, I assume you mean?

javie

13 year(s) ago

That's exactly what I meant. I can't believe that I forgotten about that.

javie

13 year(s) ago

19. [IMG]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab94/edofmoon/Mixtape/tron_movie_poster_onesheet.jpg[/IMG] I know I already talked about this in depth before on my Home Movies review, but there is just more to be talked about on why I love this movie. Not only was this movie good, but it's the one movie that made me use my imagination and made it grow to a whole new level. I didn't know that there can be a movie that is mostly based off of a video game that never existed till after this movie came out, and be so great. As a huge gamer, you can tell that I love this movie so much. But seeing that this movie left so much room for imagination in my brain is just inspiring to me. I love watching Jeff Bridges, and I can't wait to see him in his next movie.

javie

13 year(s) ago

18. [IMG]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/QueenWideyed13/189754.jpg[/IMG] Some have the Secret of NIHM, and others have All Dogs go to Heaven as their favorite Don Bluth movie of all time. Mines will always be the Land Before Time. This film still grabs my attention. The animation, as well as the story is just incredible for a kids movie. The Land before Time draws in so much mystical references, that it actually works well with this movie. Seeing how Littlefoot communicates with his mother from the dead is interesting, but yet touching. The characters in this movie are great. You get to feel so much emotion out of all of these dinosaurs, that even the adults would want to know how they are going to get to the Great Valley. They each symbolize different virtue, such as courage, strength, joy and humbleness. And let's not forget the T-rex, who is called Sharp-tooth in this movie, who's virtue is fear. He is as close to a villain in this movie that you would ever get, and he is very frightening too. Another thing about this film is how the tone of this movie is evenly balanced. What I mean by that is that as much fun as it is to watch, it also has that feel of a drama too. The emotional scenes in this movie doesn't drone out the kids, nor does it get boring at all. Sometimes, it can get really emotional, even when you put in, what I think is the most saddest moment in movie history. EVER!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJhVgK0tPI Even today I cry watching that scene. That's what I love about this movie. Don Bluth knows how to capture the hearts of the children that he views his movies to, and he does a pretty gosh darn job at it. The most interesting thing that I just recently found out about this movie is that the executive producers of this movie were Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. I never noticed that, till after I posted the poster on the screen. And come to think about it, this might have brought Spielberg to make Jurassic Park, six years after this movie was made. Could it be that this movie gave him the idea to make that movie? We can only imagine. That is if anyone has the answer to this question.

javie

13 year(s) ago

17. [IMG]http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo242/natnalin_photos/enemy_at_the_gates_ver21.jpg[/IMG] In North America, its called Enemy at the Gates. I don't know if this is for everywhere else, but in Europe, to my knowledge, it's called Stalingrad. That is a title that I would prefer better, because this movie is about Stalingrad. This is actually my favorite World War II movie of all time, which means that you will not be seeing Saving Private Ryan or Patton on this list. I can literally do a whole review of this movie, as well as a whole commentary. It stars Jude Law as the lead role as Vasily Grigoryevich , who was known to be the best Soviet soldier in the sniper division in World War II. He came in at a time where Russia desperately needed so much hope in a time where the Nazis almost won against an army that lost more than 10 million soldiers, who were not trained, not taken care of, nor even prepared for such a battle. He teams up with a friend he starts to make, played by Joseph Fiennes, and yes, he was the man who played as Martin Luther in Luther. He plays, not only a soldier, but also as a soldier for a printing press as well. He then develops a bond with a small Russian family of a mother and a son, as well as a relationship with a female soldier who lives with them as well. As we all know, a war movie is not complete without a main villain. Ed Harris plays as a Nazi sniper, who is in a mission from the Nazis to track down Vasily, just to gain a huge advantage to win the war. As we all know, Ed Harris is always the main villain in almost every single movie that he is in. When I first saw this movie, I finally understood why. He is persuasive and friendly to just about anyone who he wants to use for his own personal gain. He is smart in just about everything, and can shoot just about every target in any speed. And the scary part about it is that it isn't even based off of luck at all. It shows you that he can shoot, and he is everything that makes the Nazis frightening. Just to see the condition of Russia at the time in 1942 blew my mind away. At first, my dad only taught me how corrupt the Soviet Union's army was in World War II. Seeing it in action was a giant step on how it was like back then. I know I don't like the idea of people mixing in education and entertainment, only because it gives you stuff that you only want to see. That is the reason for why I don't think that those two elements can ever work out and come hand to hand. But seeing the brutality and hardship of how war is really like in this movie was and is is enough for me. The most interesting part for me about this movie is how little people know about this movie. Most people I have talked to about this movie have no idea what I would be talking about when I mention this. It is a great movie in itself for what it is, and I encourage just about anyone to watch it. As a matter in fact, I will put on the trailer for this movie on now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUVqSCH8Fho

javie

13 year(s) ago

16. [IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k403/krystal951_bucket/untitled.jpg[/IMG] That's right, I put Dumb and Dumber over Enemy at the Gates. How can't I? This movie was the origin of adult humor for me. I started watching this when it first came out on VHS. At first, I had no idea what I watching, since I was like 5. Today, the comedy in this movie still holds up. This movie is one of my comedic influences. It delivers something that brought comedy to a whole new level of where comedy is today, with its originality, and gross humor that actually works. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are the best duo of comedy, right next to Michael Scott and Dwight K. Schrut from the Office. Just by watching a movie about a woman who leaves a brief case behind in an Airport, Jim Carrey picking it up, just to give it back to the one who he loves with Jeff Daniels is actually made possibly one of the most funniest movies ever written. If there is one movie that I would convince anyone to buy, it would be this movie. 15. [IMG]http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad209/Kaitie_03/the-fifth-element.jpg[/IMG] This, to me, is the comedic version of Blade Runner. I did see Blade Runner on BBC America a few months ago. What did I think about that movie? This is what I saw: Pyramid looking buildings Big giant advertisement screens Pyramid looking buildings Big giant advertisement screens [b]Breast appeal[/b] Big giant advertisement screens Pyramid looking buildings In other words, I didn't like Blade Runner. I know this opinion is hard for some people to accept when someone says that they didn't like Blade Runner, but deal with it. In 1914, three aliens come down from their space ship to Egypt to retrieve their weapons that were four stones, along with the Divine One who is one of the five elements that creates the weapon that destroys the greatest evil that will soon destroy planet earth. The knowledge was passed down to a monk, who was with two archeologist, who discovered the fifth element. Jump to over 300 years in the future, and the planet that is about to destroy planet earth begins. Now, the search for the four stones, and the Divine One begins as well. Bruce Willis plays as Corbin Dallas, as a retired Marine, who now works as a Taxi Cab driver in New York City. He is as awesome as usual, and still keeping it real with his awesomeness. The Divine One, who has a name that I cannot pronounce, is Lilu, who is played by Milla Jovovich from the Resident Evil movies. Yup, she went that low with her career with also playing in Ultraviolet. Tsk, tsk. Gary Oldman as the main villain is great in this movie. Who knew that he could pull off such a great southern accent, and be so watchable. The special effects are just impressive! Seeing just how colorful this movie was and how awesome everything looked blew my mind away, and they are still amazing to watch today. And to think that this was released a year before Starcraft made it even better. I know its kind of weird that I try to compare a movie with a video game, but if you were to watch the cinematics on Starcraft, they look so darn impressive for its time, even when being released in 1998. Most people have sci-fi movies that helps them picture the future for them. Some have Blade Runner, most have Back to the Future part 2. But mines will always be the Fifth Element. Its bright, colorful to look at, and the design of New York City and the technology is what will always support my vision of the future.

javie

12 year(s) ago

Just in case if you guys are wondering what happened to me, I just had my summer semester on my math class. But now I'm done. So I'll try to finish up before Fall Semester begins. 14. [IMG]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/newbie2183/Ed_Wood.jpg[/IMG] I know it's a bit cliche to put this on my list, but I can't help it. I love this movie! This, to me, is not only Tim Burton at his best, but also Johnny Depp at his best. His acting works great as Ed Wood, the worst director of all time. That was until Tommy Wiseau came into existence, and you can figure out the rest on your own. The thing that I enjoy about this movie is how it pulled me in. It started off with Doug Walker when he nominated Ed Wood to be one of his all time favorite movies. Then James Rolfe did his Ed Wood-a-thon and made mention not only about this film, but also that Tim Burton directed it, and Johnny Depp was in it. Then I saw the movie on Youtube, and I feel in love with it. The one character that steels the show for me was Bela Logusi. The way how they characterize him is as if he came back from the grave. That, and the actor who played as him was Martin Landau, who played as Batman's butler from all of the Batman movies, from Batman to Batman and Robin. He won an Oscar for best supportive character in Ed Wood. Who knew that he would go from a Butler who was soft and kind, to an actor who cusses a storm and wishes to just die on the end of his life. But here is a clip of his acting, minus the cussing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ10wLxSYUs 13. [IMG]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/Kanti-kun/ponyo.jpg[/IMG] I don't think that I have to discuss on why I love this movie so much, only because I discussed about this one. So I will post this link for you, just so you can see why: http://www.mypraize.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=214&func=view&id=442956&catid=26 12. [IMG]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/itsssmeeenicoleee/Inception.jpg[/IMG] By far, Christopher Nolan at his best. Christopher Nolan is a legend at making modern day movies, and has just a mind that is yet to be unveiled to the whole world. This movie proves it. Inception is the one that made me believe that there is still room left in the movie industry for originality. Most people might not think that this is an original movie, and I can see why, since the dream state is kind of like the Matrix. But what I think that is original about this movie is just how these people can create an idea however they want in a dream, whenever they want in a dream, and how much they can push the line with the world they can create from the top of their minds. I really wasn't that thrilled for Leonardo's character, but the one who I was hyped up for was Leo. Going missing since 3rd Rock from the Sun (for me), I'd never picture that he would be sort of an agent in a Christopher Nolan movie, and be really good at it. Everything about his performance stands out to the point that you want to know more about his character, even though you don't know too much about him. He's not that kind of character who is just in the background or sticks out like a sore thumb, which is what I like about him. The music is great, and so is the special effects. The way how all of these people look is great, and I just see so many people who are now going to try to rip off their style. The action scenes are done very well, like the fighting scene with Leo and the bad guys in the hotel was just awesome. Let's not forget the most awesome sound ever created for any movie: http://inception.davepedu.com/ Now, for the ending. Nope. Still can't figure it out. 11. [IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/DoorQPictures/Scott_Pilgrim_vs_the_World_teaser.jpg[/IMG] That's right. I still put Scott Pilgrim over Inception as my favorite movie of 2010! And why wouldn't I? This movie so deserves the respect that it needs. Being a movie that flopped in the box office for various reasons, it still remains as a cult following of some of Edgar Wright's best movies. Most people would say that this movie is stuck in the 90's, but no. It's not. It brings you back to the 90's, where music was still awesome, and Mario and Sonic were competing against each other. As a child, the 90's was the best time of my life. The plot is what I can call a perfect way to write a simple movie. All it is is just Scott Pilgrim being challenged to fight Romona Flowes' 7 evil exes and win her heart on the very end. That's all. Most people may think that is just stupid and can't figure out why anyone would settle with that. But the glory to the plot is that it is easy and simple to understand for just about anyone to watch, which is why I love this movie so much that I put Inception below this movie. The characters were great. Michael Cera was great as Scott Pilgrim. Even though I don't like Micael Cera in his other movies, or him as a person, he did great in this movie. Knives was great to get into. She was energetic and likable. Romona Flowers did well. She wasn't really that type of person who started off with a great performance, but later on, she was one who you wanted to know about. Wallace was kind of bothersome when he acted like a homosexual, but when he doesn't, he's not half bad of a guy. Everyone else is sort of there, except for the evil exes, but they do a great job on making the movie great, and putting this one on my #11 spot.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)