Login

Where the Wild Things Are

javie

14 year(s) ago

I have seen movies that are based off of books that I really liked. Even movies that I didn't know that were based off of books, such as Star Wars, War of the Worlds and The Godfather series. I have also see movies based off of books that are horrible, such as A Series of Unfortunate Events. And then there is this. This is probably the most hardest to look at movie that I have ever seen in my entire life. I thought that Where the Wild Things are would have a good plot and something that I would always look back at. But by looking at this, it left me and my friends just questioned on what we were watching. It was just weird and looked like Pink Floyd the Wall made for kids. It was almost as if the director of the movie was on drugs this whole time. Everything about the land the kid was on was just random. Just thrown in. Basically, its about a Kid name Max who's just a kid who wants someone to play with him. His sister, along with her friends are jerks and treats him as a reject. His father is never mentioned and we have no clue if he's divorced or dead. The only one who he could be happy with is his mother, till she started to go out with someone. Then he ran away from home because he was upset that he had no one to play with or to be loved from. So he randomly finds a boat off a shore of a river and magically finds himself off the ocean and finds the island he lands on. Then he finds the wild things, that don't look too bad. As a matter in fact, the wild things are very creative and looks very good. The suits had real fur suits, and the faces were computer animated. Then Max tells them that he is a powerful king and becomes their king. Then he orders them to build him a fortress and they do so. But this whole island is just something that not even a kid at his age could even imagine. Everything about this island looks as if it was just tossed in with no logical explanation whatsoever. You have the forest, that looks like the 100 acre woods, you have these tress that blooms cherry blossoms, you have the beaches, where Max builds his fortress, then you even have a desert. I couldn't have made this up even if I tried. Watching this movie made me wounder if I liked it or not. Nothing about it made any sense, and it literally looked as if a stoner filmed this movie. Even today I'm asking myself "what in the world was I watching?" It was almost as if the director just wanted to make a movie like Tim Burton, which looks more like a fail to me. Not only that, but I'm not too sure if I even learned anything from this movie. I kind of understand the moral to the movie, but it was just too hard for me to watch. The score I will give this movie: 2.5/5, only because I have no idea what to say or think about this movie's morality or understanding. That, and I don't know if this was a good movie or not.

Jekkie

14 year(s) ago

Before I begin, I'd just like to point out Star Wars isn't based off any book or book series. Anyway... First, you say the film was "just weird" and that the land was "just random" - "thrown in". What were you expecting? I don't know if you caught this or not, but WTWTA was supposed to be about the imagination of a child. The "randomness" of the film and its setting sets in perfectly with the themes the film brings up - loneliness, the imperfection of life and those involved in it, death, forgiveness, and - most importantly - the imagination of a child. This movie did the playfulness and care-free aspects of childhood justice, unlike some other children's films I could name. <_< Why do we need to know what happened to the dad? All we need to know is he isn't there. Period. Telling us anything other than that would have just been overstating the obvious. Once again, you're using that "random" term. It's supposed to be nonsensical, as the whole film revolves around childhood and imagination. The only thing I can seem to agree with you on this review, though, is that the visuals are spectacular. I loved each and every one of the Wild Things' different personalities, perspectives, and problems. The fact that they acted like real people was far more interesting to me than whether or not real fur was used in the costumes. For the umpteenth time, imagination does not have to "make sense". Lol. Tim Burton wanna-be? I'm guessing you've never seen one of Spike Jonze's other films. Not saying I'm some big fan of his, but the man does indeed have his own style. Check out [i]Being John Malkovich[/i] if you get the chance... I obviously understand you didn't particularly care for the film, but I thought it was one of the most entertaining, emotional, and definitely most intelligent films I've seen all year. While there were admittedly some problems, I thought this film was simply fantastic. 9/10

cartoon2

14 year(s) ago

I watched it. I would have to say it was a bit confusing at the beginning but It was worth the money I paid for it. The monsters were dead on. Instant classic for me. 10/10

javie

14 year(s) ago

Okay, so I did use the word random a lot. but the movie was hard for me to say if it was good or bad. It was a movie that had to be made from a stoner. There just wasn't any other explanation to it. I never watched a movie where I had ever said this before in my entire life. The ending to me just didn't look real. I mean the kid goes back home, and THE MOM WAS HAPPY LIKE HE CAME BACK FROM A CAMPING TRIP!! I mean she just gives him a German chocolate cake with milk! No spanking?! No punishment? NOT EVEN CHILD LABOR?! If the father knew about this or just sees this, face to face, he might be laughing his butt off.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)