Login

2012:Avenge the Hunger of the Hobbit\'s Dark Knight

BrotherReed

12 year(s) ago

2012 Movie Thread. Yes, it's here. Yes I'm still the only person who visits this thread. Oh well. Maybe there'll be some discussion once Prometheus comes out, or The Dark Knight Rises, or The Amazing Spiderman, or The Hobbit, or Django Unchained or Lincoln? Heck, The Avengers is out right now, The Hunger Games is still playing some places... I mean there's so many big movies out even for the casual moviegoer I'm surprised we haven't at least seen one topic this year. You know the drill. I list the movies I've seen this year and tell you how much I liked them. You're invited to comment or make your own lists. 1. The Cabin in the Woods 2. 21 Jump Street 3. The Avengers 4. The Hunger Games 5. Safe House 6. Gone Seen six theatrical releases so far, and [b]The Cabin in the Woods[/b] Is by far the best. In fact it's my favorite movie of last [i]two[/i] years, the most entertaining movie since Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I wrote a full review on my website. You can read it here: [url]http://theraptorpack.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/the-cabin-in-the-woods-2010/[/url] [b] 21 Jump Street[/b] really surprised me. I laughed a lot. It's raunchy, sure, but Channing Tatum actually proved to be a decent comedian. Interesting look at high school and how it is changing, plus a lot of over the top stuff and referential humor. Then there's the two juggernauts, [b]The Avengers[/b] and [b]The Hunger Games[/b]. Both were good, though neither were excellent. Hunger Games had Jennifer Lawrence, one of our great young actresses who is better than the material and makes a very likable protagonist. The film managed to move me even when it hadn't earned the emotion. The big drawback of THG is the action sequences - they're truly wretched. The camera shakes so much you can't tell what the heck is going on. Makes me want to go back and watch Battle Royale instead. Avengers on the other hand is just what you'd think it would be - a slick, slightly over-wrought, loud and flashy superhero movie. It's kinda funny, sure, and the action is nice and clear. I think your mileage varies by your prior attachment to the characters. On the whole it's being blown out of proportion by fans. It's good, but no more than, say, the first Iron Man or Spider-Man. Light on characterization by necessity with such a large ensemble. Nevertheless it has Downey Jr, Ruffalo and Hiddleston who are all great. I probably need to see it again. [b]Safe House[/b] is passable but predictable and forgettable. [b]Gone[/b] is just bad. Not offensively - it's affably bad, but bad just the same. Looking forward to maybe seeing Chernobyl Diaries this weekend.

Confederate

12 year(s) ago

My friend brought over the Iron Man dvd the other night. I'm still steeping in it with the foreign languages, and the special features. My goodness, the features! I AM IRON MAN: It's wall about the production. The next one I emmensly enjoyed: all about the comic from its origin to the today's look and all. WOW! So, I'd like to get the Iron man 2 dvd. Anyway, it's made me want to see Avengers. I also want to see The Hobbit, Avatr 2, Star trek2, and a few others, of course.

BrotherReed

12 year(s) ago

I saw Prometheus and it is very good - however I haven't decided how to rank it yet. I really want to think about it for a while and then see it again.

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

Having just seen MIB:III yesterday, I'll say it was rather good. At first it was pretty predictable but it had a nice twist. And for a 3rd movie, it was phenomenal. I saw Avengers two weeks ago; I agree that it was good but not excellent. Haven't seen the Hunger Games and I really don't have any desire to (probably will though).

Confederate

12 year(s) ago

[b]BrotherReed wrote:[/b] [quote]I saw Prometheus and it is very good - however I haven't decided how to rank it yet. I really want to think about it for a while and then see it again.[/quote] It's playing 20 miles from here; but can't get to it. The finances are still somewhat shaky from the Easter car rental.

Confederate

12 year(s) ago

Oh is this Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol? If so, yeah it's a very good movie; but tiring from all the action!!!!

BrotherReed

12 year(s) ago

[b]Confederate wrote:[/b] [quote]Oh is this Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol? If so, yeah it's a very good movie; but tiring from all the action!!!![/quote] What are you asking? I thought MI4 was great, though it's a 2011 release. Made number 5 on my top list. You're the first person to mention it in this thread, though. New list. 1. The Cabin in the Woods [b]2. Prometheus[/b] 3. 21 Jump Street 4. The Avengers 5. The Hunger Games [b]6. Chernobyl Diaries[/b] 7. Safe House 8. Gone I'm tentatively putting Prometheus at number 2. It might end up getting the top slot before the year is done but it's hard to tell. I need to see both it and Cabin in the Woods again. Meanwhile, here's my Chernobyl Diaries review: http://www.theraptorpack.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/chernobyl-diaries-2010

MisterNathan

12 year(s) ago

I am somewhat surprised to see Prometheus do so well on your list thus far after seeing it get lambasted in so many reviews, particularly from the crowd that was so in love with the Alien series. To be honest, it tempered my excitement to go see it, but mayhaps that will change since, aside from one here and there, I tend to agree with your reviews.

BrotherReed

12 year(s) ago

Well, Alien and Aliens are two of my all-time favorite movies (though I'm not heavily into the lore), and I loved Prometheus. Honestly I think most of the criticisms of the movie amount to little more than nitpicks. I can't verify this but I wouldn't be surprised if the same people who hated this also hated Signs for not having a meticulous plot, or for letting its themes drive it rather than its plot. It's an open ended movie that made me think a lot and I like that. It's also beautifully filmed and especially impressive in imax 3d. I'd recommend it.

BrotherReed

11 year(s) ago

1. The Cabin in the Woods 2. Prometheus 3. 21 Jump Street 4. The Avengers 5. The Hunger Games 6. Chernobyl Diaries 7. Safe House 8. Gone [b]9. Snow White and the Huntsman[/b] Well, I hate to do this but I was the opposite of impressed with Snow White and the Huntsman. I wanted to sleep through it. Worth watching only for Charlize Theron hamming it up as the villain. The main character has no actual character traits, and Stewart doesn't really look the part either which doesn't help. There are some cool effects but they're mostly lifted from other movies (Lord of the Rings, Princess Mononoke) but not as good. The plotting and script give us no compelling connection to anyone, no emotional reason to will anyone to succeed. Bland and silly.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)