Login

Christianity a religion?

Brentonwhite393

12 year(s) ago

i would say yes, but a very different religion then others, i dont really understand people who say its just a relationship. yes a relationship with Jesus is most important thing, but that doesnt mean its not a religion some definitions of religion 1.The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance 2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices 3: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith i would say that christianity is a religion,but so much more then just a religion. its a relationship, but too its core you can call it a religion any thoughts?

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

People are adverse to labeling Christianity as a religion due to the hypocrisy and abuses of institutions.

Brentonwhite393

12 year(s) ago

well what made me ask was a video that went viral on facebook with my christian friends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY) in the video he makes some good points but from my opinion the whole idea that Christianity isnt a religion is wrong. he sterotypes religion really bad seriously the reasoin im saying this is becuase people who i respect as a spiritual leaders are reposting this on facebook. i just would like to understand where there coming from. im open to being proved wrong

serfofChrist92

12 year(s) ago

Basically, you can't get around Christianity being a religion if you go off of a realistic definition of a religion. But people try to say it is not a religion because of the desire to separate their faith from man-made organizations and institutions that do not reflect Christ's life.

Dante

12 year(s) ago

Ironically, by avoiding the label of religion, they are ignoring the very fundamental truth of the matter as well as what was considered a very important facet of life in the time of Jesus just to appease the perceptions of man regarding religion. "You don't like the color black? Me neither! My car? It's just a dark blue, but it's definitely NOT black. Cuz I know how much we all hate black." Dante

Brentonwhite393

12 year(s) ago

In my opinion i think that, even though there are other mistakes, the biggest flaw in this rhyme, poem whatever... is that his idea of what religion is, isnt true and is very biased. what scares me though is how easy people (me) can be misleaded by a nice rhyme or saying. even my own sister fell for it! what else do we (including me) believe about our religion that is a lie?! we always need to be careful not to believe everything a paster, or speaker, or anyone says

Confederate

12 year(s) ago

Satan is a subtle and deceptive liar who loves to "muddy up" the waters, so to speak. Think about it. What better way is there to dupe Christian than to have something subtle as this to plant doubts in their heads? I have a hunch that this is where most of the "religion" thing is coming from. Since coming back to God in 2005, I've noticed a few things about some Christians. My first church after coming back was a home church. The reverend's sermons were all about keeping what he said in church a secret "because Satan can't understand thoughts, only the oral word, no one would understand unless they were a member. etc" He wanted his actions to be kept a secret. He was so subtle that not one of us understood that he was deceiving us. He took us all in to the point that the members say, "Of course they'll say that since he's not here to defend himself !:" when I found out many things about him after his 2007 death. He cheated one of the members out of thousands of dollars when the man didn't have the money. The man or his family is stuck with paying credit cards. He also wanted to be in charge of a person's money like a trustee or something. Even my brothers didn't do that to me or anyone else! He was a pedophile. He'd tell the congregation what was said in private after a member would confide in him when the member wouldn't do what he wanted the person to do These are just the iceberg tips.

Son-Of-Fire

12 year(s) ago

For those of you who judge the video, think about this. On his Facebook, he posted a private message that he got permission to post. The guy said that he was raised in church but really screwed up. The part of the video that said that church was not a museum for saved people but a hospital for the broken really touched him. He went back to church and recommitted his life to Christ. If there is one person that is saved by a seed that was planted by God through this video... I'd say it's worth it.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)