Login

In God We Still Trust

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

Ok, I know this isn't the music forum, but I got this excerpt and link from an e-mail my friend sent to me. The song that goes with it was banned from public radios for being politically incorrect (that's where the politics part comes in, which is why I put it in the politics forum), which I think is totally bull because people have a right to freedom of speech! It shouldn't be the government's decision to decide weither or not people hear a certain song on the radio; if someone finds it offensive, then they can just tune into a different station! So, please listen to the song and give me your thoughts about it and the excerpt that goes with it. It is a country song, but it's message is good. horsechic1990 P.S. The excerpt is first listed below, and the link is on the bottom to listen to the song. THIS IS AWESOME................TO SAY THE LEAST.........ENJOY..... In March, 2005, this song was performed at a Diamond Rio concert. They received an immediate standing ovation, and continue to do so every time they perform it! Sadly, major radio stations wouldn't play it because it was considered politically incorrect. Consequently, the song was never released to the public. If this song speaks to your heart, share it with friends and loved ones. Then let us cease being the silent majority and join together -- not as a particular political party, but as Americans! http://gunbarrelcityradio.com/InGodWeStillTrust.wmv

SmilinBob

17 year(s) ago

This isn't really political because the radio stations are privately owned, so the owners get to decide what they play, the government doesn't have all that much say, unless they find it offensive. For example there are a ton of punk songs that have good messages in them but they will not be played on the radio because they are too offensive. The main reason why so many things are considered too offensive for radio or TV is that fact that mainly Christian groups complain. I am actually surprised that country stations wouldn't play it, they play lots of other crap with the same message. It could be that this is just bad, even for a country song so no one wants to play it.

MattBob-SquarePants

17 year(s) ago

I would have agreed with you, Bob... say, 5 years ago... But after 9-11, the federal government sent out a secret list of songs that they were "asking" radio stations not to play due to the emotional stuff it could bring up.. The list included the full catalog of Rage Against the Machine, as well as such seemingly unrelated and trivial songs as "Hit me with your best shot" To this day, the list is not talked about, you'll not have much luck even finding a DJ to admit it existed, let alone reveal what was on the list. So-called 'conspiracy theorists' have vocalized worries for years about the emergency powers granted to the federal executive, such as seizing modes of transport, food stuffs, communications networks, etc.. regardless of who owns them, without provision or compensation. After 9-11, the feds showed us they are not opposed to using this power.

SmilinBob

17 year(s) ago

I know the government right now does have way more control than they should, but with the current administration I doubt they would ban this song. I think if the president was worried about the emotional effects of reminding us of 9/11 he wouldn't mention it in every speech. I think one of John Lennon's songs was on that list, because it had a line about there being no religion.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)