Login

Lord of the Rings

Shawndra

17 year(s) ago

I absolutly love Lord of the Rings, have been a book fan for life and love the movies too. I hope I can find fellow Ringers that love CHrist as well! :woohoo: :woohoo:

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

I think they're ok, but I've honestly never read the books 'cause I almost fell asleep reading the Prolouge for the Hobbit 'cause it was so boring. I definately prefer the movies to the books in this case! horsechic1990 P.S. How come Christians aren't bashing Lord of the Rings like they bash Harry Potter, 'cause Lord of the Rings often has worse cases of magic and stuff then Harry Potter has in it?

Shawndra

17 year(s) ago

Well Lord of the Rings is based around Christian beliefs, J.R.R. Tolkien was a huge Christian and actually along with a friend led C.S. Lewis to Christianity. I love Harry Potter and am not one to bash it because they are wonderful books and I believe that if you know what is reality and what is fiction there shouldn't be a problem with reading books such as Harry Potter. However J.K. Rowling did research and use actual witchcraft incantations for some of the spells used in her books.

Staticstellarhawk

17 year(s) ago

I LOVED THOSE BOOKS! I read them a few years ago...so I can't really remember them and want to reread them! The Hobbit is one of if not my favorite book! I hate H.P. because J.K. Rowling is a Satanic Witch! and I don't care what people say about her being a christian:angry:(I've heard it.) no offense to people who do like him. B)

screams

17 year(s) ago

do you have anything to back up that she's a satanic witch? and normally satanism and witchcraft are very different, satanism is also very different than what most christians would like to believe it is. i've been a lord of the rings fan for quite a while. tolkien stated flatly that his writings were not an allegory, and that he didn't intend it to be about his christian beliefs, or about his beliefs on the war that was happening when he wrote the book. he actually even hated the narnia series because of the fact that it was a straight forward allegory of christianity and the bible. no one says you can't find your own special interpretations of the stories tolkien wrote though, you just have to remember that they're not symbolic to christianity or the rise of hitler.

Shawndra

17 year(s) ago

Yes i do know that Lord of the Rings is not an allegory, Tolkien disliked them, and alongside him C.S. Lewis did not like them all that much either. Tolkien disliked the fact that C.S. Lewis was putting so much belief into his writing and publishing it so fast after being a Christian for only a short period of time. I have done my research and have read and watched anything that even utters Tolkien, I plan on walking his steps in England next summer. He is pretty much my role model. Being a Christian your beliefs are bound to poor into whatever you do, therefore Tolkien being a devout Catholic of course all that he had ever been taught managed to make its way into the wood works of Middle Earth.

Post edited by: Shawndra, at: 2007/01/01 02:09

screams

17 year(s) ago

just because something has an influence doesn't mean it's symbolic. even if it were symbolic, it would seem that the world wars were a stronger influence than his faith. good vs. evil is too broad of a category to say what his obvious influence was. i'm just going by what he sound about all of this. as christians we'll find christian meaning in almost anything we want to see it in.

Post edited by: screams, at: 2007/01/01 05:38

Shawndra

17 year(s) ago

Whichever, whether intended or not, whether symbolic or not... Tolkien was an extraordinary writer that is apparent what he was put on this earth to do. Creating an entire history is absolutley awe inspiring.

Staticstellarhawk

17 year(s) ago

[b]screams wrote:[/b] [quote]do you have anything to back up that she's a satanic witch? and normally satanism and witchcraft are very different, satanism is also very different than what most christians would like to believe it is. i've been a lord of the rings fan for quite a while. tolkien stated flatly that his writings were not an allegory, and that he didn't intend it to be about his christian beliefs, or about his beliefs on the war that was happening when he wrote the book. he actually even hated the narnia series because of the fact that it was a straight forward allegory of christianity and the bible. no one says you can't find your own special interpretations of the stories tolkien wrote though, you just have to remember that they're not symbolic to christianity or the rise of hitler.[/quote] I don't care. all I know is that she is not a good lady. Satanism maybe different from what christians think but It is still satanism. It doesn't make it ok to do. Same with witchcraft.

Shawndra

17 year(s) ago

coming from a writer I do not think Rowling is a satanist or a witch.... she is just simply that a writer who did her research and put it to her books. It is a fictional book written for people's entertainment no more, no less, i respect your beliefs but you should not just go around saying that people are satanists or witches

Post edited by: Shawndra, at: 2007/01/01 16:40

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)