Login

Is your faith inherited ?

MissionQuito

17 year(s) ago

I grew up in a Evangelical Free Church and then attended a Baptist Church, currently I am a youth leader at a Pentecostal Holiness Church. I was taught things growing up that now I don't believe are true. Gifts of the Spirit as an example. How does your faith differ from what your parents? How did you come up with your belief? What changed your mind? Why do you participate in the rituals at your particular church? (not trying to question the rituals but your convictions) If you check my Blog you can read about my thoughts on this subject "Get Saved" Todd Smith

DHfan

17 year(s) ago

personally, I get my faith and my beliefs from my own research and my own thoughts and ideas and such... I mean, yes, many things that I believe are things that my parents believe as well... but, I never take anything that they say at point blank, it must be true because they say it.... if it doesnt make sense to me, I will question them and try to figure out in my own mind whether it's plausible or not how does my faith differ from my parents'?... in all truth, im more conservative from my parents... and many of the things i believe are things that ive never even discussed with either of my parents I participate in certain "rituals" in my church because i feel like its biblical: communion: that's in the Bible worship: that's in the Bible too fellowship: it's important to have christian fellowship sermon: I like listening to my dad preach and its important to listen to God's word every week other than that we really dont have any "rituals"

chargette

17 year(s) ago

[b]MissionQuito wrote:[/b] [quote] How does your faith differ from what your parents? How did you come up with your belief? What changed your mind? Why do you participate in the rituals at your particular church? [/quote] My father was Episcopalian, my mother was Catholic (now agnostic), and I'm a Southern Baptist. (How's that for differences!;) ) When I was a kid, I went to church each week with the friend I spent Saturday night with. (That was in the days when most families went to church) This was a great way to know the different denominations of Christianity. I grew up with a basic belief in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Change for me came when I could no longer bear feeling caught in the middle of other peoples beliefs. I decided to put a stop to that by learning all I could about the Bible. I'm still learning but the best thing I have out of the whole deal is a personal relationship with God. He teaches me so much and now I'm much more comfortable with who I am. There's not much in the way of rituals at my church. We follow Bible principles, teach salvation is by grace through faith, baptize, and observe the lord's supper communion. Walking with God is the best journey one can have in life.

Rachel721

17 year(s) ago

How does your faith differ from what your parents? [b]my parents are prebyterian and not very good ones at that. they conform to the world and stay comfortable and do not take criticism in the Spirit very well. That's at least my mom. My Dad is a musalem...nuff said. I think he's plotting to kill me, in a very serious non-joking manner.[/b] How did you come up with your belief? [b] Through total and complete qurantine. I haven't had any non-christian media steam into my eyes for about a year now. I'm not being brainwashed, just being careful, seeing as before I got rid of all of my EARTHLY possessions (every non christian cd I owned, non christian movies, and myspace) I was possessed by 17 evil spirits. They liked where they were too, but they have been rebuked in the name of jesus and I have never been the way I was again.[/b] What changed your mind? [b]My husband. I know it sounds wierd when I say that I have been in quarantine, but in a way I have. I just choose to surround myself with christ-like materials instead of demonic earthly things. What is so important about holding on to these things that are non-christian? It's only music, it's only tv, it's only movies, it's only money. Think about if you listen to worldly music (like panic! at the disco- they takethe Lord's name in vain), think about how Jesus would react if he saw someone in the church singing a song that belonged to an evil band (like nine inch nails, system of a down, britney spears, christina agulara, snoop dogg, and so many and so on). There probably isn't one worldly band that you can name that has nothing wrong with the lyrics or the lifestyles of the artists. Choose wisely what you let into your heart. [/b]

Chantillon

17 year(s) ago

[b]MissionQuito wrote:[/b] [quote]How does your faith differ from what your parents?[/quote] I'm a catholic revert,whent through alot of protestant churches,baptists,pentacostal ect.., until I came full circle back home to the catholic church.My parents were both none practicing catholics,agnostics more then anything else. [quote]How did you come up with your belief?[/quote] I didn't come up with my belief,people have been believing in Christ for 2000 years now.Its been handed down by the scripture and tradition, witnessing ect. Hearing the WORD of life,reading scripture and see it becoming the living word in my life.Communion of the saints and brethren,partaking of the eucharest,fellowship,prayer,meditation,church,mass.Seeing and having miracles happen in my life and lives around me. What changed your mind? There is no defining moment,its the accumulation of all the experiences put together that as brought me to where I am.At my age you have had enough time to make big wopper mistakes and sin.And have had many changes of mind and heart , and have had lots of moments of doubts.Suffered alot of pain and lost and had great moments of joy. [/quote]

horsechic1990

17 year(s) ago

[b]How does your faith differ from your parents?[/b] For me, it doesn't differ 'cause both my mom and dad are strong Christians like I am. We go to a non-denominational Christian church and we believe in the same things. [b]How did you come up with your belief?[/b] I have been part of a Christian church since I was about 8 or 9 years old (I'm 16 now), but I didn't come to know the Lord until later. When I was about 12 or so I went to a Christian camp and I heard about how the Lord would always be my friend and would always be there for me (back then I had it in my head that I didn't have any friends). I gave my life to Christ about a week after going to that camp and I have been a Christian ever since. I got baptized with my dad when I was about 13 or so. [b]What changed your mind?[/b] Like I said, I changed and became Christian after hearing about the true extent of Christ's love for us and how he would always be friends with us and never leave us. I wanted to have a friend for life and I had already believed in God, so it was easy to make my decision to become Christian. [b]Rituals at my church[/b] We don't do a lot of rituals at my church, but the ones that we do do, like Communion for example, we do 'cause they have a Biblical backing and are taught in the Scriptures that we should participate in. My church also does worship through song, tithing, etc. and my youth group does the 30 Hour Famine every year.

Sanctified4Him

17 year(s) ago

[b]How does your faith differ from what your parents?[/b] Well... I disagree on some major church government issues... Among other things. [b]How did you come up with your belief? [/b] Reading Scripture. [b]What changed your mind?[/b] God. -David-

MisterNathan

17 year(s) ago

[quote]How does your faith differ from what your parents?[/quote] Firstly, this has been irritating me. The end of the sentence is missing :P . Okay, anyhow, my faith is pretty similar to what my parents believe. If I don't know what to think on an issue, I ask my parents, then study their answers from the Word of God, a few concordances, the dictionary, and various other resources. And one thing I like about my parents is they'll do the same to me. If they're vague on a topic, they'll ask me what I think about something. [quote]How did you come up with your belief?[/quote] Through careful study of the Word. [quote]What changed your mind?[/quote] My mind only changes on a subject when I have been proved wrong. So, whatever proves me wrong. [quote]Rituals at my church[/quote] Rituals...an interesting word. This word is taken out of context so often. So many people see it and immediately think "religious". Also, anyone can say that their rituals are founded on the Word of God, because that's how they interpret the Word of God. Anyhow, we have communion, we have a time of worshiping God, we have a time of teaching, a time of praying and/or prophesying for each other as the Holy Spirit wills, a time of ministry as the need arises...can't think of a ton more at the moment...

DHfan

17 year(s) ago

I have one quick question: what is this thread about? and why is it in the debate section?

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)