Login

javi\'s top 20 favorite otaku

javie

13 year(s) ago

Its me again. I've made my top 20 favorite games, and I see that so many of you guys loved it. However, most of you already know that I love otaku a lot. So I am going to post my top 20 favorite otaku that I have grown up watching and reading. The reason for putting this list on the misc. is because I won't just be picking TV series, but also mangas as well. So sit back, as I unveil my top 20 starting with: 20. [IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/unexsistant/metroid_ch01_cover.jpg[/IMG] Now I gotta admit. I actually didn't know that there was a manga series of Metroid, till I found out on Screw Attack's review of the Metroid game series. This manga actually explains the origin of not just Samus Aran, but also the origin of planet Zebus and the Chozos who lived there too. You get to see how Samus gets her powers from the Chozos and how she becomes into the bounty hunter that we all know that she is in the games. There are some other characters that are part of this short series of two volumes, and are Samus' team. But to my perspective, they don't really stand out too much. The chozos are at least interesting to learn from, and they do have a point in this series. The one part that I found odd, but cool, is that Ridley and Mother Brain both talk. Ridley is just one of my favorite villains. He curses and even kills Samus' parents, right in front of her face as a child. [IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/unexsistant/metroid_v02_ch010metroid_v01_ch010_050.jpg[/IMG] That is why Ridley should never be messed with. I haven't really read it all the way through (not yet, at least), and it is very hard to find the series in local book stores. The only possible way to find this series is by looking it up in manga sites. I tried looking for them on Amazon and Ebay, and to be honest, I can't find them anywhere. If you are a huge fan of Metroid, like me, but never got into otaku, or just don't like reading mangas, I would give this one a try. But if you are really into knowing the history of Samus Aran, and the series, this is the way to go. Yes, I do know that Metroid the other M is going to give out its own history of Samus, and planet Zebus, but I will always stick with the story that I read in the mangas.

javie

13 year(s) ago

19. [IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/tinkors/Anime%20Library/Escaflowne.jpg[/IMG] I know I haven't seen this movie in years, but it still holds up as a classic in my favorites. Even the movie is called "Anime Movie Classic". The story is great along with the animation. The way how this movie begins will put anyone on the edge of their seats. I know I did too. My favorite character in this movie is the main bad guy, Volkan: The Black Dragon Clan. His voice incredible! I think its the same guy who does the voice of Alucard, from Castlevania: SOTN, and another anime that I will mention pretty soon on my list. I will mention him when I get to it. But the story,let me try to explain it in the best of my knowledge. The girl, who I can't remember the name to, was brought from earth, to another world, because she was selected to be the wind goddess. And as the wind goddess, she was sent to the other world to help protect it. And the other main character of this movie is Von, who is to protect the wind goddess, and use the Escaflowne, which looks like a giant mech, but at the same time is not. His main villain is Volkan, who is actually his brother, who wants to use the wind goddess to take over their world. Some of you might not like my explanation, but I gave it a try. For those of you who have not watched this movie, and don't quite understand what the heck I was talking about, go check out the movie and watch it. Its just one of those movies that would be perfect for a movie night. There is a show, but to be honest with you, I never watched it. http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=tYjiaTuTM5A&feature=related

javie

13 year(s) ago

18. [IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/Evamonky/6c47.jpg[/IMG] I have to admit. This is the one series that helped me get my interest for anime back. There was a period of time where I wasn't interested with action cartoon shows, and I was more into comedic shows at the time. There was Pokemon, but everything else I didn't watch. I started watching this show on the first half of the series on the dark tournament. I have to admit, Toguro is one of my favorite anime villains, on the side of Ridley. Seeing this guy fight just made the Hulk, Magneto, the Terminator, Godzilla, Darth Vader, all of the Justice League's villains, Lavos from Chrono Trigger, Sepheroth, Goliath, all of the angels from Neon Genesis: Evangelion, all of these people that I mentioned are all BUTCH compared to this guy. There is just no way of stopping this guy in a fair fight. He's like the Chuck Norris of bad guys. That was all true, till Yusuke killed him in the dark tournament. But beside from all of that, the action in this show is great. You will never get tired of watching them. The story of this show is well written. Yusuke dies in a car accident, but is offered an opportunity by Botan, from the Spirit World, which is controlled by Junior, who for some reason likes to take the form of a baby. But on the side of that, we also get to have Keiko, who for some reason makes me think of Marcy, from the Peanuts Gang. I don't know why. Its the first thing that comes to mind when I see her. Anyway, we do get to see that he will have companions on his side too, as they go along with the story. He has Kuwabara, who is like if all of the Three Stooges became into one man. Heie is a rebel, who is the usual serious guy that every show, movie and book has. This guy, in the other hand, doesn't show too much emotions. He, I would say, is sort of like Vegeta. Always wanting to do things on his own, in his own way, and not caring what anyone says about him. Just without all of the over acting. Kurama is just doll. Very Boring, and has too much dialog in this character. Not that Heie doesn't talk that much, but Heie is just more interesting to watch. Koenma is one tough old hag. I never really understood how she could go from a young women and then back to present old age. But I think every can like this woman, no matter what. The only problem though is that when the series progressed, it didn't get any better, and it started to fall flat on the end, due to poor popularity ratings. But the first half of the show is much better. I did read the mangas, but only the first volume. The only problem that I had when I read this was because they added fillers that aren't on the show. Why?! I usually read the mangas to avoid the fillers on my favorite shows. But other than that, I really liked this one. Even though its been years since I last watched this classic.

javie

13 year(s) ago

Feel free co comment.

javie

13 year(s) ago

17. [IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/lilLov388/Inuyasha.jpg[/IMG] I was having a hard time to decide if I wanted to post this series on this list, but I have only one reason for why. When I was barley in my freshmen year in high school, I was really starting to see a lot of crappy anime showing on Toonami. That was until one of my friends started bringing this show up. I had no idea that this show was on [adult swim], since I was only watching Family Guy and Futurama at the time. Shoot, I didn't even know that [adult swim] even aired anime either, till I watched this show. When I first watched this show, it helped unveil other anime that I started to watch and fall in love with, making me abandon Toonami very slowly. Now, this show is still pretty good. Granted, I haven't watched in in years, and I do know that not too many people watch this anymore, or just hates it, because of how redundant the story line became, which was the major problem with this series. But besides all of that, its still good. The action is just what takes the show away, along with the bad guys, and the supporting characters of this show. Kagome was kind of annoying, but still not half bad. As a matter in fact, she's actually Sailor Mars, from Sailor Moon. She looks like that, because its made from the same animator from Sailor Moon. She is a priestess, who can sense Shards from the Sacred Sheikon Jewel, and can purify dark auras with her bow and arrows. Muroku is a Monk who has a dark whole-like wind tunnel on one of his hands, which I really can't remember. He is also a womanizer, who always makes the same lousy excuse by saying that his hand is curse to do so. Songo is a demon slayer, who uses a giant boomerang as her weapon, and is also on the search for her brother, who is possessed by Naraku. Naraku is bound to be one of the most awesome villians I have ever seen in my entire life. His voice is just awesome to listen to. Its actually the same guy who did the voice of Volkan, from Escaflowne. I believe he should always remain to do the voice acting on every single villain in every anime. Every time he speaks, he just makes me shiver. But Inuyasha always steals the show. He's tough, he's a rebel and always wants to become stronger than he already is. He's half human, half demon, who wields a big sword, just like who Cloud from FF VII uses a big sword. The only two problems that I have with this series is the story and the fillers. And because of those two reasons, people here in America got sick and tired of watching it, and it couldn't continue any further. I heard that it did continue in Japan, but I can't even find any raw episodes of it either. So it will only remain as a mystery. I did try to continue seeing how the series ended on manga, but there are over 500 chapters, and I ran out of patience to continue seeing how the series ended. Yes, I would still watch it. It still has its charm that will never run dry for me. Inuyasha, whether if you like the show or not.

javie

13 year(s) ago

If you guys haven't notice, and are still looking at my reviews, I'm only going to post one review at a time on my list. I decided to do this so I could find the ones that I remember watching that stand out to me in the past. So just be patient, because I still have more coming up. And like I said earlier, feel free to post your comments. I really loved hearing what you guys said about my top 20 favorite games, and I knew that you guys loved it too. Thanks a lot for that!

javie

13 year(s) ago

16. [IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd59/blogadao/Entretendo/cowboy-bebop.jpg[/IMG] I don't even need to explain this anime at all, since a lot of you watched it, and already know what it is. Cowboy Bebop is just one of those shows that is only made for adults, and no one else. It made me start to see what anime has become and gave me a new way to vision it. The way how the animators made the future look was just awesome. Even though we may not be fighting in space any time soon in the year 2071, and destroy the moon, leading to make earth continuously get hit by meteors, and have Mars be highly populated, it will still be awesome to look back at that time. The music is just awesome to listen to. The intro is just the highlight of it all. Just listening to it is just addicting! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zDfxZ4NcE&p=0B2D247F5DB084F9&playnext=1&index=4 How can you listen to that and not like it? I never known anyone who has watched this intro and ever said anything negative about it. My favorite episode that me and my cousin love watching together is episode 20: Pierrot le Fou: Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdzommL9X1Q&p=B28F7497CFFF88E1&playnext=1&index=41 Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37rXCoq8odY Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlUwC40L2ww&NR=1 I just saw this episode right now, and I just notice that the animation has been enhanced! I Remember watching this episode for the very first time in my life, and I was very freaked out at this guy so much that I put him above vicious. There should be no questions asked if this is still awesome, because it still is. And it is worthy of being on my list.

javie

13 year(s) ago

15. [IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/HIM_Saintuary/NeonGenesisEvangelion.jpg[/IMG] Yeah, I had to post this on my list. Whether if you like it or not, Neon Genesis Evangelion is still one of my favorites. This show first aired in 1998 in Japan, and brought up a huge boost within anime. The reason for it was because there really wasn't anything like it at the time and brought the gore factor to a whole new level. Seriously, this show was just too intense to look at, even for a mech genre. This show is just so popular, that when I was in Japan in 2008, this series was still up and strong over there. There were even slot machine, looking games that advertised the series. As a matter in fact, When I was in Okinawa, I went in the Toys R Us over there and bought the 10th anniversary editions of the unit 01 and 00. Those have been with me everywhere since. I wanted the unit 02 too, but I couldn't find them anywhere, and I was low on money anyway. Yes, Shinji was pretty annoying, and Asuka was a pain, but all it is is just nitpicking. Shinji is unlikable, but Asuka, to me, after watching its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, she is more like that annoying old woman who complains and argues throughout the whole movie. If any of you know who I'm talking about, then I have no need of further explanation. Rei was just boring, without any soul whatsoever. But the one who does steal the show is Gendo, Shinji's father. He is just cool, and always have every single situation under control. He doesn't break a sweat at any situation, never has second thoughts, and never doubts a single thing about anything. His personality is more like if someone talks back to him, he would comely just say back "No. You're wrong. I'm right. Live with it!" The other adult characters are also very interesting to watch, and they do a better job than the characters. So many people would complain, saying that it just drags, and its slow. The show is made to be slow, and it really takes its time to the climax of the show. The action, on the other hand, is amazing! I have never seen action that was edited so precise, and so graphic. I never seen a show where a mech and a angel could create so much blood in a battle before in my entire life. However, the story is not good at all, which is the reason why I put this on the number 15 spot. It tried to bring in some biblical things in this show, like the title, angels, a crucified angel. And then the movie tried to make things better, but it pushed it a little too far, trying to make it like Revelation, and it just didn't work. There are even people today who actually believe that it made sense, but it didn't. The story was just way too hard to follow, and way too big to swallow! The last two episodes where the ones that I hated the most. But I still liked it. For those of you who never watched it, give it a try to see if you would like it.

javie

13 year(s) ago

14. [IMG]http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/Soul-Keeper13/SCAN0006.jpg[/IMG] So far, I'm in the middle of the 8th volume. So right now I can't even try to spoil anything for you guys, if you haven't seen or read it yet. And its also the main reason why I put this one on the 14th spot. I just love how the writers try to make a fictional story, and put it in the late 19th century, while mixing some Japanese history to it. The way how they made this era is just amazing. Nothing about feels made up, and it feels like you are reading something that literally happened. For those of you who never read it before, it starts in the year 1854, where a revolution that was fought by Hitokiri Battosai, who ended the Bakumatsu era, and started the Meiji era. After that, he vanished from history for about 11 years later, and is now known as the Rurouni, which is Japanese for Wandering Samurai, and his real name, Kenshin. So in the 11th year, swords were becoming outlawed throughout all of Japan under the new government for the past 11 years, and so many samurais start to fight the Meiji government to take back what they originally had. But Kenshin doesn't fight back, due to the horrible and violent history that he made to claim the title "Hitokiri Battosai". He then encounters bad guys, who either want him to destroy the current government, or just want him dead for their past reasons. I really love how all of the action in this manga is not too over hyped, and nothing about it looks fake. The characters are entertainingly funny. But the best part is that they don't' overact anything when it comes to comic relief. When it comes to a serious moment, they do a pretty good job at it, without making it boring or cheesy. They all have a point in being in the story and all serve a purpose. I have seen the anime series, but to be truthful, it sucked. The story doesn't match up very well. The fillers are just painful to watch. The intro music is very bad. And the use of extra characters for the two kids were pointless. If I were you, I would stick with reading the mangas.

javie

13 year(s) ago

13. [IMG]http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt138/Omra2009/ponyo.jpg[/IMG] I love watching Hayao Miyazaki's movies, and this is one of them. This, to so many people, is one of those movies that is hard to hate. The animation, the music, and even the characters are all entertaining. Liam Nelson is one of the English voice actors for this moive! I have no idea that he was starring a role in this one, till I first heard his voice. The way how the fishes swam around the trees, whether if it was a whale or a shark, it looks amazing! The music that was played in this one was incredible. I truly admire how Miyazaki still makes his movies. While mostly all animated movies and shows are done on computer, Miyazaki relies only on using cell animation today. He's hold this tradition on today, and I don't ever seek him to change it at all. His movies are glorious to watch.

XS (Extra Small) SM (Small) MD (Medium) LG (Large)